Help with model of harman wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Actually I just looked again. There's a big gap. I'll show the pic, u can see where the piece makes a U shaped Dion and vent on top

Attachments

• 1121162111.jpg
    1121162111.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 139
Yes it deals very well as I can see. What would u recommend me doing with this?or going from here
contact harman send them pics and see if I am right about what it is. If I am see if you can get the parts to convert it. And if they will issue you a new tag. Until you find out those things you cant make a decision. But as is it will make a horrible wood stove.

Actually I just looked again. There's a big gap. I'll show the pic, u can see where the piece makes a U shaped Dion and vent on top
Yeah that is what I thought it would look like. Contact harman see if they can id it and if you can get parts. As it is now I would say it is unusable.

The piece that is warped is pretty solid steel or iron. I can't see getting that unwarped without damaging integrity.

If I were to use this as a coal stove, would that warped piece still make it unusable or is it integral part of stove

The piece that is warped is pretty solid steel or iron. I can't see getting that unwarped without damaging integrity.
No you wont it would need replaced.

If I were to use this as a coal stove, would that warped piece still make it unusable or is it integral part of stove
I would have to look at it in person but that bypass is there for a reason and they way it is it does not work properly. And it will continue to warp more and more now.

Ok, thank you so much. You've helped a lot. Last time I let wife but a woodstove used without knowing anything about it.

Your not by any chance in the hudson valley by area?? Lol

One more question for you guys....

On the front bottom panel there's a toggle for coal and wood. I spoke to my wife and she said previous owner told her that it wasn't warped ( piece inside) but because of your burning coal , you need an air gap for the gas, this sound right?

On the front bottom panel there's a toggle for coal and wood. I spoke to my wife and she said previous owner told her that it wasn't warped ( piece inside) but because of your burning coal , you need an air gap for the gas, this sound right?
Not right that is warped without question. What does the wood/coal lever do?

Wow....just saw this thread.

I don't know if Rydin1 is still posting/checking in here ....or even still has this stove....but I had one...bought it new in 1993 ($1600 for the stove)....sold the log home it was in 2 Summer's ago. I know the paperwork/manual for the stove went with the house....but I'll look later and see if I still have anything for more info/Model #...etc.

What I do know is about the operation of the stove/etc. I also know I loved the styling /looks of the stove.
'
The baffle you showed is integral. With the ability to burn coal...y our guess is a as good as mine why it warped. That stuff burns crazy hot in this stove.

This is an early cat stove that will burn wood or coal. The "cat"...if it's still there...looks like a piece of rock wool type material with 3/8" or holes in it. Maybe 6" x 8" or so if memory serves me correct.

The "Wood/Coal" lever switches the airflow from in the firebox (for wood)....to below the firebox "shaker" grate...which is used for coal. (or to knock ashes off a wood fire and rev it up. The ash pan is below the shaker grate in the door that opens. You keep this door shut because it controls the airflow for all burn modes.

Like many cat stoves...you fire it up....get it hot....and drop the bypass.....forcing the air through the cat. You do not burn this stove without closing the bypass.

It's a vertical, front load affair. One of the only real drawback I saw to the stove overall was that sometimes a log would roll into the glass mid burn....but it was one Hell of a heater. 6-8 hour wood burns. Would go all night with a load of coal. We spent one winter...in the early construction of the log home....with only plastic on the bucked-out window frames and it would run us out. Double that heat for coal burns...which we did probably 2 dozen times with the stove. Had a Stainless steel, single wall pipe 12 ft to the ceiling jack...and multi-wall SS through the roof. 22 ft stack. 10-12 roof pitch.

Top comes off via bolts to regasket if needed. Had to regasket the "double" door glass once when the gasket slid down between the panes....and it wasn't fun but i got it done.

Any other info I can help with...should you still have this...just ask. If not...I hope someone enjoyed reading along just the same.....

Reactions: Mark8