Help with Napoleon 1401/1402 baffle installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

esh21167

Dec 27, 2007
Central PA
I'm installing the fire brick on my 1402 insert and the baffles have a triangular ridge on one side. Does anyone know if the ridges go up or down, toward the center or the outside of the firebox? Thanks.

I have an 1100c that sounds like it has similar baffles. I have the triangles facing down on the outside edges.

Any others? Surely there are other 1401/1402 owners out there. Thanks.

Eric,

I have a 1401 (same firebox as 1402) and have replaced my top firebricks with the refractory baffles that you describe.

The purpose for those triangular projections is to help with the flow of secondary burn gases. That is, they deflect the secondary burn down so that it swirls around and mixes with smoke coming off the wood. So, the triangles face down at the upper corners of the firebox.

My stove originally shipped with lightweight bricks up there. When I switched from the bricks to the baffles the optimum operating temperature went up by about 100 degrees, and the panel glows red much of the time, so the secondary burn is significantly improved by those panels.

Dan

JoeyD said:
I have an 1100c that sounds like it has similar baffles. I have the triangles facing down on the outside edges.

JoeyD:

I thought there really was a fruit fly on my screen when I saw your post. --- Weird.

Thanks Dan,

I was thinking along those lines about them pointing down. An to the outside they will go.

i have the 1400 and the triangles are ment to hold back the firebrick. so they point down and are on the outside of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.