Help With NC30 Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Finko

Aug 22, 2012
Mason Dixon Line
So now that the 30 is sitting nicely in the fireplace, the original AC-16 blower will not fit. I do not have enough room behind/under the stove to do as (I think) BobUrban did and add an elbow, thereby shifting the blower's position.
Looks likeI am down to three options: (1) Drop $170 on an AC-30 blower that might squeeze in behind the stove; or (2) Use the AC-16 and mount it off to the side of the stove- make a connection to the rear of the stove with some kind of 2" flex metal hose- where might I find something like this?; or (3) Rent a rotary hammer and chisel out the rear of the firebox.
Thoughts?

Or just do what I do since my AC-30 crapped out. When I want a blower I sit a AC-16 inside the left side of the fireplace blowing into it and it tosses plenty of hot air out of the top of the fireplace.

Had not thought of that bb. As a last resort, I'll go with it, though the Decorating Committee would be less than pleased. (I'd be pushing it already if went with the flex-hose option).
But if I can connect it to the rear I'd retain more extra insurance against a too-hot fire. I have a Thermo-Stat control currently that controls the fan, and when the stove top crosses that line it's nice to know that the fan will cool things off a little. Not a fail-safe by any means, but it does allow a little margin for error.

I guess, in all honesty, that I'm tending towards the jackhammer option, but not knowing too anything about chimney construction, I'm leery. Anybody think I'd have a problem busting out a little firebrick in the back of the firebox to create clearance? What's behind it? Cinderblock?

Paint the inside of the fireplace high temp flat black and the thing won't ever be visible. But the first thing you need to do is heat with the stove as is for awhile before you go dropping a chimney on your head.

The blower on my 30 sits under the stove. I made a duct box with 2 holes on the same side. Top hole attached to stove, fan attached to bottom hole. This made it possible to get the back of the stove 2-1/2 inches from the wall. The fan is close to the OAK inlet so I made a duct tube for the fan intake to keep it from interfering with the stove's air intake. The intake tube also seems to help cut down fan noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.