help with new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
im about to buy me a new wood insert..my house is around 1600 square feet.....10 feet tall ceilings....somewhat insulated but not the best....i have been heating my house with an old 1981 shenandoah insert for the last 3 years....it has heated it well..but she eats the wood....and the blowers get rebuilt twice a year...burn times arent the greatest..so im getting me a new one.....i have a stainless liner installed already..its insulated and is 8 inches.....so what ive been looking at so far is the
buck 91
quadrifire 5100
blaze king princess

my firepleace will accomodate any of these stoves.......i like the sounds of the burnt times with catalytic stoves, but im uneducated on them...wanna learn more....and will visit all the dealers to learn as much as possible...if anybody has any personal expreinces with any of these stoves please get me educated...or open to any stoves u think might make me happy

Since you have an eight inch liner already, I'd go buck 91.

Around here cat stoves are valued for their longer burn times. Maintenance is minimal and worth it.

Buck it.

I was just thinking of you the other day Steel.....I hadn't seen you on for awhile. I just put a deposit on a new Buck 91 will pick it up in a couple weeks. Wanted to wait till I was done burning this year so I can slide the new one right in and get rid of the old one. I have been talking to Woody Stover a little bit about the 91 he put in his MIL's place. There are a few others on here with the 91. Good reviews on this stove.

If I had the 8" liner already good to go, I'd look for an appliance that would fit the fireplace, heat the living space, and with an 8" flue collar. Perfect all the way around. Rick

thanks guys....the buck dealer will be my first stop.....

.locust didnt do much in the way of wood cutting this winter.....cut me a load today....gonna get back in the swing of it.......u will be seeing lots of posts in the future in the wood shed section i promise.....by the way what does the buck 91 sell for?

Reactions: Locust Post
thanks guys....the buck dealer will be my first stop.....

.locust didnt do much in the way of wood cutting this winter.....cut me a load today....gonna get back in the swing of it.......u will be seeing lots of posts in the future in the wood shed section i promise.....by the way what does the buck 91 sell for?

Sound good Steel....the wood shed is where I spend most of my time at. Did that leg get all healed up ? Bet she has a scar to remind you. Gone for some more wood tomorrow myself but I gotta get splitting soon. About 8 cords of rounds to work through.

yeah leg is good.....nice little scar..thats ok the chicks dig it..lol who am i kidding they dont dig this big belly of mine

Reactions: Locust Post
yeah leg is good.....nice little scar..thats ok the chicks dig it..lol who am i kidding they dont dig this big belly of mine

LOL She thinks my belly's sexy...wait that was tractor. Have a good one buddy gotta head toward the hay wanna hit it early tomorrow.

I say go with the buck 91 since you already have an 8 in liner. Not to mention its catalytic. I have always heard say away from catalytic stoves to much maintenance and so on but after finding this site I can guarantee you if and when the time comes to get a new stove it will be catalytic. There is a bit more of a learning curve with a catalytic stove but with properly seasoned wood and the help of the experts here if you need any you should have no problems

Reactions: Woody Stover
anybody know what the buck 91 costs?.

fossil...heres your sign

Oh, I already have that one. ;lol

Hey, ST! I too have recently wondered what you've been up to. I guess burning a bunch of Sycamore, for one thing... :)
Sounds like you are all set up to slip the 91 right in there. I really like the way it's running over at my MIL's; 9.5' ceilings, minimal insulation, plaster walls, bad stove location, but it's still doin' the job. Sounds like it would handle your space, easy. Heck, the 80 might even be enough for your place. I don't know much about that model, however. Probably less folks here running the 80 than the 91, but there are a couple that might have some input. We've got a Buck dealer here; I need to take a closer look at the 80 the next time I stop by. Last time I was in there, they had $2999 on the 91. Maybe your shop will cut you a bit of a deal, being that the season is ending...
As for cat stoves, they really aren't hard to run at all, and you will love the wood savings. :cool:

Here are a couple of threads on my install, etc. Now, at first these might make it sound like it's a complicated stove to run, but it's a piece of cake now that I took care of a couple of issues, the main one being an air leak at the ash pan gasket on my used stove. I'd be glad to help you get up to speed real quick on running this sweet heater if that's the way you end up going... ==c

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/the-buck-stops-here-91-bay-heater-install-under-way.92228/
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...unning-advice-tricks-and-tips-welcome.100464/
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/did-a-couple-tweaks-on-the-buck-91.107015/

got a hold of my dealer today....he told me since it was end of season....2200 with surround and all.....gonna put a deposit down next week

woody my main concern is gonna be to not overfire..i got an old stove and i dont think u can overfire it at all.....yes i will need ur advice when i get to burning...and yes i burnt tons of sycamore and still got more to burn...all in all i like the sycamore when im around the house...but i wouldnt bank the stove overnight with the sycamore...

woody my main concern is gonna be to not overfire..i got an old stove and i dont think u can overfire it at all.....yes i will need ur advice when i get to burning...and yes i burnt tons of sycamore and still got more to burn...all in all i like the sycamore when im around the house...but i wouldnt bank the stove overnight with the sycamore...

Someone was asking how sycamore burned,
a week or so back.
Told them you had cuts lots.
Sounds like a good wood, just fast burning.
Maybe the new stove will burn longer with it, :)

got a hold of my dealer today....he told me since it was end of season....2200 with surround and all.....gonna put a deposit down next week
Sweet deal right there! Keep us updated. :cool:

maybe someone can shed some light on this......the buck 91 will fit my fireplace opening....but there is bolts sticking out of the rock inside the opening that i will have to cut off....any reason i shouldnt cut these off?....i have no idea what the bolts are there for

woody my main concern is gonna be to not overfire..i got an old stove and i dont think u can overfire it at all
The 91 is a heavy-gauge plate-steel stove; You would have to get it really hot to do damage. My main concern is keeping the combustor from getting too hot (1800+ for extended periods.) I think that fixing the ash pan air leak, and the tweak I made to the right-side air plate, has given me more control over the temp at which the stove runs. I can't be absolutely sure since I'm not there all the time. Read the manual a few times while you're waiting to burn the stove; Good info in there, and maybe some questions will pop up.

http://www.buckstove.com/manuals/wood/91/91-Manual - 01 10 2013.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.