Help with old Preway

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PortiaDeans

Apr 26, 2013
La Valle
Hi

We are refacing an early 1980s fireplace that is dated. In addition to changing the brick, I want to change out the front of the fireplace and doors. It's is a Preway built in fireplace, Model # B136EM-IV.

Our general contractor sent me a catalog from a manufacturer with a limited selection of fronts/doors that I could choose from. Of course, I don't like any of those :) So I found myself here trying to learn what determines which fronts I can replace with.

So far, I have learned that fireplaces are VERY complex, and a mistake can cost you dearly. I don't want to replace the entire firebox - too expensive. This renovation is in a summer home and the fireplace doesn't get a lot of use. Can you all help me understand what doors are an acceptable replacement for my fireplace? What makes them acceptable? Are there certain vendors that I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for the guidance!

Is your mode number BI36EM or B136EM? The doors have to be designed to fit the preway box so your selection of off-the-shelf doors will be limited. Preway has been out of business a few years.

Is this the vendor you viewed?

http://www.brick-anew.com/Preway-BI36B-Fireplace-Doors.html

There are other sites that can fabricate doors to fit your unit, just google "preway BI36 doors"

KaptJaq

Status
Not open for further replies.