Help with plumbing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

russlaw

May 19, 2008
Plattsburgh, NY
I consider myself a jack-of-all-and -master-of-none at working/building around my house and I am attempting to hook up my new gasification furnace. I have looked at many schematics and I think I am more confused than when I started. I have an EKO 40 and a 500 gal used propane tank for storage. I would like to know if there is any simple designs to plumb these into my current oil fired hot water heating system, manually selecting oil or wood?
The storage tank is next to the wood furnace and I have enclosed the tank (framed it in with wood and used double 2-inch Styrofoam hard insulation around the tank. Once filled, I am surrounding the tank (between the frame/insulation) with sand.
I have put a shutoff in my oil furnace manifold to manually open and close depending on what system I am using. I didn't feel the need to keep the oil furnace hot and waste my storage heat if not necessary. (Any opposing opinions would be welcome) The problem I am having is to keep it simple! I know I need a main circulator at the wood boiler along wit a 3-way valve that regulates the water temp. going back into the boiler. Additionally, I am installing a SX110V expansion tank, pressure relief valve, shutoffs and many union's for future modifications.
I question how to plumb this to bypass the furnace when the storage is hot and furnace not burning and to include it when the furnace is running to heat the storage tank. By reading the many post, I know that there are a lot of you that are VERY knowledgeable and I would appreciate any help in boiler plumbing schematics 101.

I had originally intended to hire someone knowledgeable to complete this but unemployment has changed my course.

Thanks
Russ

:)

Any reason for the sand, as opposed to say pink insulation?

There's a sticky with info on plumbing the existing systme, plus storage. Check the top of the forum. Lots of threads on it as well- I'm no expert, but have found a ton of info.

Status
Not open for further replies.