Help with Poulan Pro 221 and bar/chain lube system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingston73

Feb 10, 2011
SE MA
I've had this saw for about 6 or 7 years now and until lately it's been a decent tool, starts right up and runs well. I don't know exactly when it started but the chain lube system is definitely not working any more and I can't figure out how to take it apart. I read through the manual and it doesn't help me at all. I'll take some pictures tomorrow of the parts I'm looking at but for now I was wondering if anybody has a poulan and has ever encountered this problem.

Try ordertree.com, I think they have a way you can lookup parts that shows you the IPLs. I tried to look it up on my iPad, but had no luck!

Good luck to ya! The newer Poulans aren't very well though of around here, but if you have it and it is an easy fix, then definitely get it going again! Might be time to start looking for a new saw, too! 6-7 years is a good run for the cheap saws!

Well, I found a parts diagram but couldn't find any instructions for disassembly. I'm just going to try to tear it down myself, since it doesn't work as is I can't make things any worse. Since the engine runs well I'm going to try to fix it, I really can't afford any new saw at all and I'd want a quality one if I replace it.

kingston73 said:
Well, I found a parts diagram but couldn't find any instructions for disassembly. I'm just going to try to tear it down myself, since it doesn't work as is I can't make things any worse. Since the engine runs well I'm going to try to fix it, I really can't afford any new saw at all and I'd want a quality one if I replace it.
You probably won't find a "Service" manual for your particular saw, but if you want to try, go over to arboristsite.com and there is a thread in the chainsaw section called "beg for manuals" or something like that. You make get lucky and have some certified mechanic respond with something he has in his piles from poulan. Definitely worth it. If all else fails, I would be willing to work on it for you for the cost of shipping and parts only, but shipping is gonna put you in the 30-40 buck range round trip...

Well, I'll be! Good find, BB! I shoulda googled that a little instead of just making assumptions, shouldn't I?

Danno77 said:
Well, I'll be! Good find, BB! I shoulda googled that a little instead of just making assumptions, shouldn't I?

BroB's googlefu is strong. Many keyboards have paid the price.

BB, thanks for that manual, I searched hi and low and couldn't find anything that helpfull. I'm going to give it a shot taking things apart, my guess is either the oil line is clogged or the worm gear is worn out and not pumping oil anymore. It's a 7 year old saw, what's a typical life span on something like this? Here's what I'm working with, the thing that has me stumped (haven't looked at the repair manual yet) is how to get the clutch assembly off in order to get access to the oil assembly.
IMG_20111207_114354.jpg

IMG_20111207_114403.jpg

IMG_20111207_114413.jpg

IMG_20111207_114449.jpg

I can't see the pics clear enough to make out the needed details, but if there is a nut on both ends (flywheel and clutch side) then the clutch is probably reverse threaded, so just hang onto the flywheel side with a socket and do a "righty-loosely" on the clutch side.

yeah, found it on page 29, "note: clutch is left hand thread"

as i look at it, though, i don't see a nut. the manual doesn't say use an XYZ tool, so I don't know exactly how you torque it properly.

edit: as i sit at an actual laptop now I see that the words "off" with an arrow direct you to turn it the correct way, so I'm thinking I may be misunderstanding your question.

maybe you are turning it the correct way, but are having a hard time keeping the whole thing from spinning? If so, then instead of my original (hold the flywheel/ flywheel nut) try the good old piston stop technique.

Short version is to pull the plug, drop a heavy string/cord down in there and then turn the crank until the string keeps the piston from moving up more... here's an instructional:
http://www.leafblowerworld.com/how-to-use-and-maintain-your-leaf-blower/nylon-rope-piston-stop/

kingston73 said:
... It's a 7 year old saw, what's a typical life span on something like this?.

About 7 years give or take.... ;-P

+1 on the piston stop technique to remove the clutch. Clothes line works pretty well.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you. Why poulan thought it was a good idea to design a saw that needs a special toll to take apart its beyond me.

See, they can make a buck off of you even when the saw doesn't work anymore! Stihl doesn't have those weird doodad tools needed for ANYTHING. Just sayin'

My advice is to buy the new saw first, then fix this for backup. Otherwise you run the risk of trying to nurse this one along for a few more years...

Try running a little kerosene through the oil reservoir. It got my poulan (that's as old as yours and very similar, PP4620AVL) oiling the chain again. It helped my saw get through last year. It seemed to be clogging again last spring but this fall it's been oiling fine. I thought I needed a new pump, my clutch is worn and my gear teeth are rough. I thought about restoring my saw but I think the money would be better spent on a Stihl or a cheap second hand saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.