Help with pre fab fireplace replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIG G

Oct 16, 2014
Tehachapi CA
Ten years ago my wife and I purchased some property and put a manufactured home on it that we custom ordered with a wood burning fireplace in a very harsh winter weather community and not knowing at the time that the monstrosity we installed may have looked nice, however was not efficient in heating the house more then say 20 feet in front of the it. Now its time to replace with some thing more efficient in heating and I found a manufactured home approved fireplace insert from Northern tool that is more like a wood stove in the sense it sticks out approx. 8 to ten inches from the hearth and should be much better for heating which brings me to my dilemma current fireplace has 8 inch flue and chimney stove insert I would like to purchase has 6 inch flue can I just run 6 inch 24 gage 304L stainless steel chimney pipe right up through my exsisting built in chimney and would it be safe I have attached a picture of the fireplace we had installed and that took up an entire wall I might add....... I also attached and image of the new insert I would like to install
45307_700x700.jpg DSC00949.JPG

What is the make and model of the zc fireplace? That will determine whether this is possible. If not it may be better to tear out the fireplace and replace it with a freestanding stove.

What is the make and model of the zc fireplace? That will determine whether this is possible. If not it may be better to tear out the fireplace and replace it with a freestanding stove.
well that could be a problem because unfortunately there is no markings on it and I would need to hunt down the origional paperwork that got delivered with the house let me see if I can track that down and will post it if and when I find it

we need make and model of both units to see if it is possible

DO NOT use a fireplace insert or any other
products not specified herein by the manufac-
turer for use with this fireplace. All gas log sets
must be operated with the damper clamped
open. "Vent-Free" logsets may not be used in
manufactured home installations.

This is from the instruction manual for your fireplace to me that means no you cant do it

DO NOT use a fireplace insert or any other
products not specified herein by the manufac-
turer for use with this fireplace. All gas log sets
must be operated with the damper clamped
open. "Vent-Free" logsets may not be used in
manufactured home installations.

This is from the instruction manual for your fireplace to me that means no you cant do it

well I guess that means demo the entire wall and replace with new wood burning stove and entire new chimney not exactly what I wanted to hear but oh well

There are lots of people here that will tell you what the zc unit manufacturer says does not matter but i feel you need to follow all manufacturers instuctions and if one specifically says you cant do something i take their word for it

Status
Not open for further replies.