Help with previously installed venting for an Englander Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JamesB1

Nov 19, 2022
Maine
Hello,

I have a 2009 build Englander with a data tag stating models, 25-PAH, 55-SHPAH, 55-TRPAH. The stove is located in a finished basement at approximately 1500 sq ft. I run the stove at night in the winter and use a Quadra Fire upstairs for the rest of the house.

I am going to replace the older Englander with a new Englander model but would first like to ask the experts here about the exhaust venting that was installed by the previous owner.

The exhaust leaves the stove and rises approximately 5 feet to a 90 degree bend to run horizontally through the thimble. This exits the wall at 3.3 feet above grade. At that point there is another 90 degree turn and 3 foot rise to where the exhaust terminates with a down ward facing nozzle. Needless to say I feel this is somewhat restrictive and I receive ash build up in the horizontal vent tubing through the wall. Snow is a concern but I am able to keep the area clear and I do not recall having over 3 feet of snow on that back wall.

I was interesting in terminating the exhaust prior to the second rise and was looking for some guidance.

I have included a picture of the outside venting.

Thank you,
Jim

IMG_6548.jpg