Help with replacing top of F600...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
I am in the process of replacing the top of my F600 (don't ask) and have a couple of questions:

1- when I removed the top I noticed that some of the bolts were loose. Is this common?

2- I was wondering about how much I should tightent the bolts down. Snug or really torque them down?

3- As I was removing he front bolt the bolt broke. An extensive search throughout town (not a big town) only resulted n my being able to find a SS bolt to replace the broken one. Will this work?

4- It appears that the whole top is only held down with the bolts, no cement. Am I seeing this correctly?

I appreciate any help y'all can provide.

Isn't the top gasketed? If so, there's no need for bolting it down

Isn't the top gasketed? If so, there's no need for bolting it down
The top is gasketed. The bolts were there when I took it apart, so I want to be certain I put it back the way it was.

They are primarily for shipping. The top is designed to be removed for easy sweeping. However, no harm if you want to replace the bolts with stainless ones. The broken bolt should drill out and tap pretty easily. Tighten until snug, but not a lot more.

Rem, did Jotul get you a new 600 or are you suffering through more issues with the original 600 that had an air leak?

They are primarily for shipping. The top is designed to be removed for easy sweeping. However, no harm if you want to replace the bolts with stainless ones. The broken bolt should drill out and tap pretty easily. Tighten until snug, but not a lot more.
Interesting.....so you are basically telling me that gravity alone will hold the top in place. Had not heard that before.

Rem, did Jotul get you a new 600 or are you suffering through more issues with the original 600 that had an air leak?
Air leak was fixed and all was well until.........the idiot operator forgot to go down and shut down the stove. Warped the top. That is why I have not been on here in a while...out of shame!

Air leak was fixed and all was well until.........the idiot operator forgot to go down and shut down the stove. Warped the top. That is why I have not been on here in a while...out of shame!

How hot did you get it? We all forget to shut down a stove occasionally. I'm interested in knowing how long and what the temps were since I am running two cast stoves.

Interesting.....so you are basically telling me that gravity alone will hold the top in place. Had not heard that before.

I read that a removable top is a requirement in some European countries, like Great Britain for rear exit stoves. This facilitates cleaning. Most folks in the US leave the bolts in, your call.

PS: Sorry to hear about the top problem. It's easy to get waylaid and distracted. Happens to most all of us. To prevent this in the future, get yourself a noisy, persistent timer (chirps until shut off) to carry with you. Or put in a high temp alarm for the stove.

How hot did you get it? We all forget to shut down a stove occasionally. I'm interested in knowing how long and what the temps were since I am running two cast stoves.
I can't answer, but the baffle plate was glowing. I would say I may have forgotten it about 10-20 minutes too long.

As for temps, I would have to say it was well above 700.

I appreciate the help, gentlemen. I am off to the basement to put this thing back together. It is supposed to get a bit cold tonight so I want to be able to fire her up soon.

i will tell you right DO NOT use the stainless in our experiance they tend to fuse with the cast and are a complete pain in the butt to remove. Usally the cast is what breaks when we try to remove stainless bolts customers have put in their stove. As for the top being bolted down we tighten to what would be about 10 ft-lbs just to snug the gaskets and stop any potenial leaks.

Remi! Ouch - sorry to hear about this buddy! Hope the repair goes well. Cheers, Jacques.

Don't bother bolting the top back on. I have the little brother f400 and glad I left the bolts off after reaching up from undrneath the 1 st time I cleaned. What a pain. Anyway, been burning without bolts (2) securing the top last 7years . no issues. PS: I am going to step up to the f600 next year and happy to hear top sets on the same as f400. TY

Decided to split it in the middle. Put the bolts back in, but only finger tightened them down. We will see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.