Help with roof flashing for prefab chimney.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RISurfer20

May 12, 2007
Years ago I installed a stainless steel prefab chimney to the side of my home. I am adding an addition and the chimney will travel trough the new addition and roof. Does anyone have any recommendations as how to flash the chimney through the roof. I would like to install the roof flashing made by the chimney pipe manufactures but I only have 4 inches of space between the chimney and side of the current home. Roof flashing is 24" by 24" and even if I do cut a portion of the flashing off I may ruin the roof flashing. Does any one have any recommendations?I am really trying to avoid boxing in the chimney that will be above the new roof line. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have a similar situation and the installer added 2 angled s/s pipe fittings ( I don't remember the degree of the angle;sick) in the attic to bring it the pipe out further from the house roof which is above the room the chimney is in. I have no problems cleaning the chimney with the angles.

Pictures would help. I am not sure what the problem is. 4 inches is a narrow space but still should be able to counter flash the addition and the chimney into that space.

Since there is gonna be some construction anyway, you could put a couple 15-degree angles on the pipe inside the house so that the chimney pipe exits the roof farther away from the coming obstruction. Then you could use the un-altered official brand roof flashing. It would require cutting new holes in the ceiling and roof deck, plus patching the old holes....

If it were me, and considering I am not there looking at your job, and also considering I do such work myself on my home [no labor costs], I would be of a mind to leave the chimney as it is now and alter or rig some flashing to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.