Help with Squire 50500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pschmidt

Nov 18, 2011
MD
I was recently given a Squire 50500 and I’m attempting to install it, but running into a few difficulties.

1. The insert is almost exactly the same dimension as my fireplace opening. There is only 1/8 in. clearance between the top of the insert and the mouth of the fireplace. I can slide the insert into the fireplace, but will not be able to reach up or over to connect the chimney liner to the outlet of the insert.

My plan is to pre-connect the outlet adapter to the chimney liner, pull the chimney liner into place from below, and leave the outlet adapter hanging in the damper area. I can then hopefully slide the insert into place and reach up through the firebox to make the connection.

Does any part of this plan seem unreasonable/unsafe?

2. During transport the toggle switches on the fan tray were snapped off. I know one is a simple on/off switch, but I’m unsure what the other is. I believe it is a three position switch but am unable to verify. It is wired to the flush mount thermostat and has three terminals on the rear. Could anybody help with tracking the correct switch down and with it's function?

Thanks in advance.

If it helps, I have the same insert as discussed here:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/19269/

The second switch is a two speed for the fan........as I remember.

As to the size of the unit, it should be relatively easy to rig something up in order to pull the boot or adapter into the unit - and possibly affix with a small strap or two and a screw drilled into the steel (small self tapping, etc.)

Thanks for the reply.

So as long as I'm able to secure the outlet adapter to the insert, there's no issue with the size of the insert relative to the side of the fireplace?

No....in fact, I remember grinding off some of the overhang of the top....where it overlapped the sides, just to fit it further back! It's double wall all around, so the heat effect on the fireplace face is minimal.

You should be able to suss out that switch by come creative, and careful, jumping of the wires. I believe such a switch would make the motor run one speed when the center and top (or left) wires are jumped, and another when the center and bottom are.

Also, I seem to remember that the damper can be removed if that helps you with your vision and access to get the thing connected.

The rectangle to round connecter is quite heavy, not sure it would hang by the liner, might pull the liner down, depends how tight the liner is in the chimney. You will have to pre-drill and tap the holes for the adapter, once you get the insert in do you have room on the sides to get your hands back far enough to attach the screws on TOP of the connecter? There is 4 of them. Not an easy job that is for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.