Help with stove Pipe length on Englander NC30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skitheeast

Sep 25, 2012
Hi Everyone,
We purchased an NC30 this past spring with the advice of everyone on this site. This will be our second wood stove,as we have a Regency HI300 insert in our fireplace. The Englander will be installed in the basement. I am going with 2 45's from the masonry thimble -straight shot, (no bends) to the stove. The question I have is this, Is there a certain length of run (stove pipe) that you want to stay under? From the looks of it, I will need either 36" or 48" of stove pipe for where I want the stove positioned. I purchased double wall pipe for 45's and will be using double wall stove pipe as well. The 2 lengths mentioned were what is available through Olympia.
Any help or comments would be appreciated.

I just put a couple of 45s in for my boiler. I think with the 45s you're stuck with the geometry you're given. The double wall stove pipe I got was adjustable. The mfr. says you can't cut the double wall. I think my sliding piece was 5' max. and I put in a baro damper for about 12" as well. I think the 45s are a good thing.

Length will be dictated by stove location. Unless there is some unique situation (like an abnormal horizontal run), just do what you gotta do.

I have 10 feet of single wall above my NC30 before hitting the class A chimney. I do believe that the manual had some guidance about pipe lengths.

Tell us a bit more about the chimney. Is there a clay liner, if so what is the tile ID size? Or has a 6" stainless liner been dropped down the chimney? What's its total height?

I would advise against the barometric damper- introduces cool /cold air to flue - creates creosote. Just a regular damper would be enough if worried about to high a draw. Bigger problem with basement installs is start up on a cold flue- back drafting until flue gets warm enough to operate correctly. Single story you will have some 25-30 ft of flue length. You do not want to be feeding the exhaust of the stove into a larger flue nothing good will come of that.

Thanks for all the responses. We will be venting into a 8X12 clay flue. Chimney was built in 09' - Exterior chimney around 25-27 feet tall or so. Was not planning on putting in a baro.

If the 8x12 is 7"x11" ID it should be lined with an insulated stainless liner. 77 sq in is too large for a 6" flue requirement.

Great. Thanks everyone for your responses. I will probably line the clay flue with a ss liner before using this winter. My chimney guy told me that I may not be able to get a 6" liner down the flue? Would I be able to go with a 5.5"? What about those pre-insulated liners that are out now?

Should not be a problem with the 5.5 with that length of flue. Of course you will need a reducer to adapt the 6" stove outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.