Help with stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

learnin to burn

Feeling the Heat
Nov 22, 2008
Southeastern, Pa
I'm having a difficult time figuring out what pipe lengths and adapters I need to install the new BK. Stove outlet sits 34" off the floor. Wall thimble is 60" to center witch gives me 26 inches from the stove to the center of the thimble. I'm looking at using Selkirk DSP for the installation. I'm thinking the below list is what I need are there any additions, corrections, or deletions needed?

1 - 8" DSP Telescoping Stovepipe 12 1/2" to 18" - DSP-8AL - from collar to 45's - 1/4" stove collar -

2 - 8" DSP Double Wall 45° Black Elbow - DSP-8E4

1 - 8" x 6" DSP Double Wall Black Stovepipe - DSP-8P6 - from 45 to Masonry adapter

1 - 8" DSP Masonry Adapter - DSP-8MA - should slide into existing 8" thimble

How much of a rise is there in the 2 45s? By the time you slide the telescopic over the stove collar, are you going to be high enough?

Unless you aren't in a hurry, make sure whoever you are ordering from has all of the pieces in stock ready to ship. I wanted to use DSP, but everything was backordered which I didn't find out until I took them to task after not shipping it for a week.

I just found this pic. Now I'm not sure if the 12.5 - 18 will work. Might have to get a shorter length. It looks like 2 - 45's will cover about 16 inches :bug:

Attachments

• 45 DSP.jpg
    45 DSP.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 318
Are you not doing the 30" rise before any elbows they talk about in the manual?

I don't have the required height to do that. I only have 26 inches from the top of the stove collar to the thimble. I'm praying it will work. However the thought of doing a 90 instead of 2 45's is on my mind.

Its not possible to move the thimble location? It would be a shame to spend that much money and not have it work properly.

Hey Learnin,
Man I don't know what to suggest to you with your situation.Even though
I have my 8"pipe which isn't double walled going into a 6" thimble I do have about 5 feet from the top of my stove to the thimble so I'm good there.I pray the stove works well with your application.You have a beauty of a stove and even if it doesn't work out to it's max potential.It may still outperform anything you've ever had.Keep us posted.

Do you have an outside chimney? I bet BK covers their ash with that 36" rise just for those cold outside masonry chimney's and if you have a full relined chimney or inside chimney it will draft much better and you could probably take some short cuts with the stove pipe?

My set up - Inside - 8" thimble 60" off floor. ceiling is 7 ft - Thimble exits basement wall into an exterior masonry chimney with 7X7 clay flue.

SolarAndWood said:
Its not possible to move the thimble location? It would be a shame to spend that much money and not have it work properly.

I took some more measurements and think it would be difficult at best to move the thimble. Essentially I would have to put a new thimble right on top of the current one.

Hopefully you will be ok with the interior chimney. If they hadn't been so adamant about their recommendations in the manual, I probably wouldn't have spent the money on double wall.

Chimney is exterior. I didn't make that clear until just now. I updated the post above.

I wouldn't mess with the thimble for 8".

SolarAndWood said:
Hopefully you will be ok with the interior chimney. If they hadn't been so adamant about their recommendations in the manual, I probably wouldn't have spent the money on double wall.

Ya know that recommendation in the manual really eats at me. Why would they give you instructions to install single wall with a 90 and just put a side note that they recommend double wall with 2 45's. If double wall and 45's were that important why not just give instructions that way.

I heard ya...probably a fight between the engineers and the marketing guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.