Help with Superior Fireplace Model 83

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SC Pete

Feb 21, 2014
Columbia, SC
Hi all, yes the plate on my fireplace denotes my fireplace as a Superior fireplace model 83. UL fireplace No F:670933. The house was built in 1984 and as far as I can tell the fireplace is original to the house. In looking at the chase I noted that it's pulling away from the house. Upon further examination I found that the chase is nothing more than a 2 x 4 frame with siding on it. The chimney is a double walled free standing pipe whose only support is the ground and the chimney chase cap. No braces for the 25 to 30 feet up. I'd like to fix my fireplace and chimney with out replacing it but I can't find any information on it. Can any one point me in the right direction. I know Lennox bought out Superior in 1992 and the model FP38 is close but not close enough. The model BRF-3875 is also close.

Last edited:
It sounds like the major issue is with the chase construction. What has to be done to the fireplace? Do you want to replace it with a modern, heat producing and efficient EPA fireplace or keep the old box?

It sounds like the major issue is with the chase construction. What has to be done to the fireplace? Do you want to replace it with a modern, heat producing and efficient EPA fireplace or keep the old box?
I'm not sure that the fireplace is installed properly so I thought I'd find as much as I can so if it needs fixing I can do It when I fix the chase. What I'd like to find is the installation manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.