Help with Tree ID!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cocey2002

Dec 28, 2007
Central PA
I think it is possibly a Birch tree. Leaves are all off so I didn't get to see one of those. It's growing in my swampy woods. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 509
birch

It looks more like grey to me, usually pretty similar to young sugar maple. When I first started cutting wood and leaerning about trees I would confuse the 2 all the time.

Adios Pantalones said:
Break off a twig and scratch through the bark with your fingernail. If it smells like rootbeer and wintergreen, then it's black birch. If not, maybe grey birch.

I do smell a faint wintergreen scent.

Eitherway I guess it is good firewood to mix in with oak.

If it's black birch, could be as good or better than oak! Gray birch - not so much, but it would still burn!

Black Birch 27 MBTU/cord
Gray Birch 20 MBTU/cord

White Oak 26 MBTU/cord
Red Oak 24 MBTU/cord

Here is another pic of the same type of birch 10 ft away. Maybe a better indicator of black or gray?

Attachments

• Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 454
I'm still thinking Black Birch...like I said also known as "Cherry" or "Sweet" Birch. Like Adios said you'll notice a terrific "wintergreen" aroma to it, and it's a fairly common Pennsylvania tree. Very good fuelwood; I also like it for kindling as it ignites easily-good stuff!

It's Black Birch, Betula lenta, no doubt. Gray Birch, Betula populifolia, doesn't get that big. Gray birch also doesn't have those horizontal ridges that are typical of black birch. Black Birch makes excellent firewood. It dries vary fast, and burns incredibly well. It's my favorite firewood!

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.