Help with VC Defiant 1975 thermostat/cable assembly??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lvandeusen

Nov 20, 2012
Hi, Folks,
We know this is a long shot, but my wife and I bought our house this past summer and have had our Defiant cleaned this fall. But we have noticed that the "thermostat assembly" that is supposed to be attached to the air-intake flap/damper at the bottom of the back of the stove is missing. The flap and chain are there, but there is no gadget up top to attach the other end of the chain to... We went ahead and picked up a new "thermostat assembly," which is part no. 85 in the Defiant Woodburning Stove specs, and I can understand how that assembly eases the chain up and down in response to cold or hot, thus adjusting the air intake. However, I can't see how to attach this thing to the back of the stove. All there is in the wall of the stove is a small hole. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as HOW to attach the thermostat assembly to the outer wall of the stove so that the thermostat chain can be attached? Thanks for any advice or help you can offer!

Glad I could help.

Thank you! We went ahead and ordered that part.
Make sure to put the assembly together so the tab for the chain is positioned directly above the connection point on the flap. The winding of the spring steel needs to be set so that when the spring heats up, the tab moves down. My stove had that installed backwards and it made for some hot fires until I corrected it.

Status
Not open for further replies.