Help with what to put this stove on......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletqueen77

Sep 19, 2010
Philadelphia PA
Hi all,

I am new here and have been researching pellet stoves to death and found this forum. I have narrowed down that I want to get a Quadra-fire Santa fe pellet stove ( free standing) I had a Harmon many many years ago to heat a big old house and it was great. Alot cheaper than oil.

But I called the dealer and he said I could just put marble tiles or pavers on my hardwood floors since the hardwood would be my noncombustible material. I want to do something a little more exciting than the pre-fab hearthpads but I think something I do myself will be cheaper too. Has anyone else just tiled right over the hardwood to use as a hearthpad?

Also, with venting I saw a neighbors house has a 4 foot vent pipe sticking straight out of their house since it is near windows. I guess I will have to do the same thing, Everywhere I was to put this stove it is near a door or window. Anyone else have any problems with venting? I was going to put this stove in my living room which is about 20X20 and the front wall is brick so I am left with a side wall that has glass doors and 2 windows and a deck. I was going to do a corner install but then the pipe would be a few inches from my fence out there and run parallel to it. I would like to have all this ready before I purchase this and schedule the install and any help is appreciated.

D.

pelletqueen77 said:
Also, with venting I saw a neighbors house has a 4 foot vent pipe sticking straight out of their house since it is near windows. I guess I will have to do the same thing, Everywhere I was to put this stove it is near a door or window. Anyone else have any problems with venting? I was going to put this stove in my living room which is about 20X20 and the front wall is brick so I am left with a side wall that has glass doors and 2 windows and a deck. I was going to do a corner install but then the pipe would be a few inches from my fence out there and run parallel to it. I would like to have all this ready before I purchase this and schedule the install and any help is appreciated.

D.
how about vertical thru the roof instead of horizontal.

Thanks for the video, I must have missed this one on you tube. I thought I searched pretty good. So helpful.

I definately wont do anything with the vent til the installer comes but I was trying to pick the perfect location and thing everything out before he gets here. I have about a month til install will happen.

I just love seeing everyone pics with their stoves, I cannot wait to get one again. I currently have no fireplaces in this house and hate it.

Pelletqueen77,

Re: " . . .Has anyone else just tiled right over the hardwood to use as a hearthpad? '

If you use a proper cementboard ( Duroc) laid on the hardwood, as a base for tile, pavers, brick, etc., you should be fine.

Many members have used framing stock ( 2" x 4"s, etc.) to frame a raised hearth.

There are many hearth pictures on this site.

Be sure to check local building codes.

In my case, I wanted a freestanding stove in front of an existing fireplace ( did NOT want an insert) and needed to extend the hearth. Used cement board as a base and brick of the proper thickness and grouted with masonry mortar. I place heavy building poly under the cement board ( in case I later wish to remove it) and used a few deck screws to anchor the cement board.

The local inspector was fine with the install as the purpose of the protector is more for sparks or hot ashes than to act as a heat shield which is needed for a wood stove installation.

Good luck,

Ranger

Hello

Here are some ideas for you from what I did!

I got my sliding mitre saw out and built a raised hearth with and overhang in which I made a grove and put in red rope light for effect!

I connected my wood pellet stove to my chimney and just put in a stainless chimney for my oil boiler!
That way the wood pellet stove can be in the middle of my house using the center chimney and it heats the whole house quite easily!

Good Luck

See pics below:
PS. That black grill is a 900 watt 220 volt electric KickSpace heater to warm my feet when the stove is down for cleaning!!

Attachments

• TRHPelletStove 015SC.jpg
    TRHPelletStove 015SC.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 459
  • TRHPelletStove 016SC.jpg
    TRHPelletStove 016SC.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 464
  • TRHPelletStove 020SC.jpg
    TRHPelletStove 020SC.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 501
Thanks for all the great ideas. I really like the raised tile platform. I would love to do that too but we are not handy, but I just bought my Santa Fe Quadrafire on Saturday and started bringing home the free ton of pellets that you get with purchase til 10-2. I only put 12 bags in my car and have to go back every Sat. til I get all 50. I really did not want to spend $100.00 for delivery for the free pellets.

Anyway, my saleperson told me that alot of platforms or bases for pellet stoves are overkill and that I could just put some pavers or big tiles down and do not need to attach them to the hardwood. I might just get some really big paver tiles and sit them down on the hardwood. I really do like alot of the pics I see on this forum that make the pellet stove look more like a fireplace. That will be this weekends project.

I will post some pics when it is all installed and lit up. I cannot wait, reading this forum really made me miss having a fireplace or a pellet stove.

Between the tax rebate and the free ton of pellets this thing is a steal!!!!

pelletqueen77 said:
......my saleperson told me that alot of platforms or bases for pellet stoves are overkill and that I could just put some pavers or big tiles down and do not need to attach them to the hardwood. I might just get some really big paver tiles and sit them down on the hardwood.........

Just a quick question......have you contacted the local building or fire inspector to have them come and certify the stove and the install?

Just mentioning this because, if it's needed where you are and you don't get it done, there could be a big problem if there was ever a fire at your home......insurance probably would not cover anything it since they didn't know anything about it.

If you do get it inspected and everything is OK, probably a good idea to let your insurance company know about it, and mail them a copy of the inspection certificate to add to your policy.

Cost for additional insurance coverage ranges from nothing, to $50-75/yr additional premium.

pelletqueen77 said:
But I called the dealer and he said I could just put marble tiles or pavers on my hardwood floors since the hardwood would be my noncombustible material. I want to do something a little more exciting than the pre-fab hearthpads but I think something I do myself will be cheaper too. Has anyone else just tiled right over the hardwood to use as a hearthpad?...

D.

Another option would be to check out a marble/granite countertop shop and get a remnant piece cut to the
size you need. Got me a piece of black granite cut and polished up for about $80 that now sits under my
Harman Advance.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/41725/

Your granite looks great! I went one step cheaper and got a single piece of bluestone to go under my Santa Fe - cost $60 from the stove dealer and the installers brought it down and carried it in. Approved bt the building inspector and all.

Hi Pelletqueen, and welcome to the forum, there are hundreds of great minds with great ideas that come here, glad to have you on board.

One question I dont see addressed above is, if you are going to put pavers or whatever tile or material you will use onto your hardwood floor, will you put down some sort of a protective pad in the event that some day hopefully you wouldn't take it out or move it, but its just a thought I had in the event that one day you might move it and you would have a marked up hardwood under it. This is just a thought, probably something I would do to my floor, and never end up moving the stove. So I suppose its' just a suggestion.

There are a lot of nice layouts for home built pads, and Im sure you'll come up with a nice one to enjoy your new Quad with.

Good Luck,

Terrier Lady said:
Your granite looks great! I went one step cheaper and got a single piece of bluestone to go under my Santa Fe - cost $60 from the stove dealer and the installers brought it down and carried it in. Approved bt the building inspector and all.

thanks...bet the bluestone looks really nice for a pad too!

I love the bluestone and the granite, great idea, I am going to go with one of these. Love the prices too. I will also check with the township again and see if any firecode inspection needs to be done for this stove. I really appreciate all the great suggestions and ideas on here.

Although it has been hot and humid here in PA, it will cold and stove time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.