Help with Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sen166

Jan 2, 2015
Michigan
Hey all,

Below are some pictures of some wood I cut today. The tree was leaning, had a broken off top, and was still green/alive when I cut it down. I am just curious as to what it actually is as I have no idea. I am somewhat new to actually putting a name to the wood I am cutting, splitting, and stacking (thanks to this forum!).

When cutting, the chips were almost a yellowish green color. The wood splits relatively easily. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    581.3 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0333.JPG
    IMG_0333.JPG
    759.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0334.JPG
    IMG_0334.JPG
    722 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0335.JPG
    IMG_0335.JPG
    828.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0336.JPG
    IMG_0336.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 171
Well that was quick; thank you for the responses. I've got it all split and stacked. Is this a wood that takes a while to dry out and season up or is it something that could be burned this coming winter?

Well that was quick; thank you for the responses. I've got it all split and stacked. Is this a wood that takes a while to dry out and season up or is it something that could be burned this coming winter?

I've yet to get a chance to burn it, but most of the higher end hardwoods benefit from 2 seasons split and stacked.

This is Mulberry. I've got both Mulberry and Osage in my part of NY, although the Osage is very scarce.
That was kind of a broad sweep of the hand wasn't it? Sorry Claydog, in my own defense, however, neither of those trees ARE native to NY. And their 'range' wasnt really the point I was making.
You must live in the extreme western part of NY...or maybe on PA border?
I am sorry...
Oh...who am I trying to kid...Im not really sorry...;lol

That was kind of a broad sweep of the hand wasn't it? Sorry Claydog, in my own defense, however, neither of those trees ARE native to NY. And their 'range' wasnt really the point I was making.
You must live in the extreme western part of NY...or maybe on PA border?
I am sorry...
Oh...who am I trying to kid...Im not really sorry...;lol

I'm in eastern NY, Dutchess County. There is quite a bit of Mulberry around but I've only spotted 1 Osage, and it's massive - looks to be nearly 6 foot at the base, if not more.

Mulberry

Not mulberry. Mulberry bark is yellowish brown, not gray. Unfortunately I have plenty growing in my back yard. Birds plant it along my fence line.

Not mulberry. Mulberry bark is yellowish brown, not gray. Unfortunately I have plenty growing in my back yard. Birds plant it along my fence line.

There's a few different species of mulberry. And the bark doesn't look right for hedge.

Only 3 common woods with heartwood that far into the yellow spectrum. Black Locust, Mulberry, and Hedge. The bark is not black locust, nor does it exhibit the orange tint and "flakiness" of Hedge. My vote is mulberry...

Status
Not open for further replies.