Help with Wood Stove Insert Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wmarazita

Jun 15, 2011
Southern California
Ok, you all helped me through my research, purchase, installation, and use of my Englander 30. Everything works great! My next project is to replace an old wood burning fireplace with a wood burning insert or wood stove, but I don't know where to begin. I have attached a photo of the Heatilator fireplace that is currently there. The fireplace is old, degrading, and terribly inefficient for heating.

My problem right now is that I have no idea where to start my research into this subject. Since "I don't know what I don't know" I don't even really know what questions to ask the forum. So, what I am asking is "What information do I need to know in order to start researching what stove or insert and chimney system to buy?"

This is what I do know:
The raised brick hearth in front of the fireplace are solid masonry bricks laid on top of a wood substrate, I believe.
The bricks on the wall are a 1/2" brick veneer laid onto drywall, I believe.
The flu is an 8" class A flu, I believe (definitely not a masonry flue)

So, please post what information that I will need to gather in order to move forward with my project. I hope this makes sense!

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• 100311 019.jpg
    100311 019.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 626
Just my opinion, but I'd be inclided to rip it out, open up the floorplan a little if possible and put a nice big, good looking stove in there. Just me tho... All that brick veneer and wood / drywall isn't gonna leave you a lot in the way of clearance to combustibles.

I'm not sure if that is possible or not with the layout. Also, the Englander 30 is also in this floor, so I don't need too much extra heat. Aren't there zero clearance type inserts that might work?

Thanks

That looks like a Pre-fab. If it has a chimney and its not masonry. Then you may be limited to what you can look at putting in there. Whatever it is, would have to be lined to the top....

I had fireplace glass door when bought house. I removed it, removed the damper frame with sawzall, removed enough firebrick to allow for 8 inch liner and set my encore on hearth with a large steel plate under stove to distribute the weight on bricks

2146178920041601002S500x500Q85.jpg

When you say the Heatilator is deteriorating, how badly and where? There are inserts that will fit if it is in good working condition. How big or small do you want? What are the dimensions of the FP?

BeGreen said:
When you say the Heatilator is deteriorating, how badly and where? There are inserts that will fit if it is in good working condition. How big or small do you want? What are the dimensions of the FP?

The back panels of the Heatilator are beginning to warp a bit. It was all recently inspected and the sweep said that it was safe to use. We have found though that it is doesn't give off much/any heat (especially compared to the Englander 30!). So our though was to get an insert or something else in its place.

When I use the word "insert", I'm not exactly sure what that even means. Does an insert fit into the Heatilator? Or, does the Heatilator come out of the space first and then an insert replaces it? This is what my first post was about.....I am not even sure what questions to ask!

As for the size, it doesn't need to be too big since the Englander is also on the floor. Since the floor is divided a bit, this room stays pretty cool.

As for the dimensions, I will have to measure them this weekend. What measurements would I take? The inside dimensions of the Heatilator? Or try and measure the dimensions if the Heatilator was removed?

Thansk!

An insert, fits or 'inserts' into the fireplace. If the Heatilator is removed, then either a new fireplace can be installed or a freestanding stove can replace it.

For now, assuming the Heatilator integrity is good, an insert should work well. Provide the fireplace's interior measurements. front opening height, width, depth of the fireplace top and bottom, and height + width at the back. If it will fit, the Englander 13NCi might be an affordable solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.