Help! Wood Stove clearance install problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodsurfer

Jun 1, 2015
Haw River, NC
I've, like most, have trolled this site for years. Never posted, as most questions went answered. But now I am in a huge pinch.

We wanted to install a US Stove 2200i in our newer construction home where a zero clearance fire place once was. We are having the worst time finding someone to help us. Our usual contractor doesn't feel comfortable doing it but already took it apart. Separate discussion. ;

See the attached pictures and you can find the manual online http://www.usstove.com/image/manuals/Wood/2200I.pdf I think we are okay but.

My question is this. If we follow the combustion clearance on all sides can this just sit in the hole? In other words do I need to do anything with the surrounding area inside the 'chimney' buildout? Ignore the pipe.

Currently the inside box dims are 48" x 20". The frame can be changed but is currently 42" wide and 36" high. Appreciate any help. My wife doesn't want me to burn the house down. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 294
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 194
Fireplace inserts like the US Stove unit you want to install must go inside a masonry fireplace or approved zero clearance fireplace. Inserts cannot just sit inside a wall cavity where a prefab fireplace was removed. Hearths also have to be made of non-combustible materials, extend a minimum of 16" - 18" depending on the stove manufacturer's specifications. It sounds like you should have left your original unit in place until you did some research to see if an insert would have been permissible to use inside it. The insert you mention is a very tiny unit at 1.2 cubic feet firebox. How did you plan to use the insert? If you just want to heat a small room or to just look at a fire this unit might meet your needs, but I doubt it could heat very much of your house. Good Luck sorting things out.

Thanks, but here is the problem. I did do my research and I called US Stove. They said as long as I follow their combustible clearances in the manual I would be fine. One installer agreed and another does not.

I do have a huge hearth stone coming. So I'll be good there.

So here I am now and can not put the old fireplace back. What do I do? What can I do? What modifications can I make to make this work?

Thanks!

Shoulda left the ZC in place for an insert.

You could pick a freestanding stove, frame out the opening for its alcove clearance requirements, and install a new class A chimney.

See the attached pictures and you can find the manual online http://www.usstove.com/image/manuals/Wood/2200I.pdf I think we are okay but.

I took a quick look at the manual just to make sure and I think you are certainly not ok. That unit can be installed in a masonry fireplace or inside the ZC fireplace that you had there before. It cannot just go in the wall cavity as is. If you still have the ZC fireplace from before you could check if the insert fits in there and if yes, try to re-install it and put the US insert in there.

A unit that would be permissible to install in the current location would be the Flame Monaco. It is an EPA-approved zero clearance fireplace. You may have to change the chimney pipe, check the manual and your current pipe.

Another option would be to open up the wall and build it out as an alcove to place a freestanding stove in there as Jeff t suggested.
I did do my research and I called US Stove. They said as long as I follow their combustible clearances in the manual I would be fine. One installer agreed and another does not.

You were given some bad advice; maybe they did not quite understand your question and assumed that you want to put the insert inside the ZC fireplace. Nevertheless, using an insert in a wall cavity is not safe. It should not pass inspection and may easily burn your house down. I would return the insert.

Reactions: Hoodsurfer
Thank you everyone. Along with your comments and speaking to another installer it all makes sense. I got had by US Stove. I would to worried about pulling the old fireplace out of the box and trying to make it work.

However I do see some companies make a zero clearance cabinet, like Buck Stove. Is there a generic one or does anyone have experience putting a US Stove in one? I think I have just have to return what I bought and buy one that has one of these with it. Any good recommendations on a unit for that?

There are lots of high efficiency, zero clearance, EPA approved fireplaces out there. They can get pretty expensive, and you would probably have to change the dimensions of the current opening, and most require the use of a proprietary chimney system or a specified class A chimney.

Another option for a freestanding stove would be to frame in and close off the opening completely, and build a hearth there or in another location.

Do you have a budget in mind?

I have not heard of a generic cabinet that can be used with all kinds of inserts. To pass UL requirements the cabinet would need to be tested with each individual insert. I highly doubt they would approve a cabinet just like that. You could ask US Stove if there is one available for your insert but given the misleading info they gave you the first time I would be wary of whatever recommendation they make.

Take a look at the Flame Monaco. It will be more money than you wanted to spend but at least you get a unit that was truly designed for your installation. As long as you follow the manufacturer's instructions you will be safe.

Your hearth looks relatively large. Have you thought about closing the wall and putting a stove in front of it? If you use a non-combustible material you won't need to worry about rear clearances and you would already have the chase for the chimney.

The hearth is about 21" The problem is we have 2 little ones running around so I am trying to keep it as flush as possible. The one installer, recommended Buck Stove. Grisu you actually posted a lot about them and seem to be pretty confident with their product. Is that true? They do make a ZC Cabinet for a few of their models. You stated you weren't sure they did anymore in a post April 2014. Just an FYI. Thanks! Thanks Jeff T as well.

I usually include them when people ask for a large stove but I have no actual experience with their models except for looking at one a while back in a stove shop. I have not read much bad about them here that's why I keep posting about them.

The cabinet was not listed on their website anymore; that's why I assumed they stopped making it. You could give them a call or look for a Buck dealer close by. Be aware that with insert and cabinet you may get pretty close to the price of an actual ZC fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.