HELP. woodburnings that need little clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lantland

Oct 7, 2008
Garrison, NY
Hi,
looking for a wood burning stove can fit into a corner of our living room. I need something that can fit as tight to the walls as possible. The unit we be in the corner on a angle. Looking for a stove that heats up to 2000sq.

I've so far found a Regency f2400

If anyone knows of any other stoves that have minimal clearance I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

Quad Isle Royal can get pretty tight. Throw some distances out. "getting close" can mean a bunch of things to different people.

To a great degree, combustible clearance is 'the nature of the beast'. It wouldn't be throwing off much heat if it didn't need some clearance. You could convert the corner area to non combustible (if possible) or use shielding to reduce the clearance for the great bulk of the stove models available on the market.

PS I almost got an Isle Royal, it's a stove worth looking into at the upper end of your heating needs.

Pacific Energy stoves have tight clearances, 4" with double wall pipe, as do some Napoleons and Quadrafires.

Somewhere between 4" to 7" would be fine. I got a quote on a F2400 for $2000. I really had not planned on spending so much money for a stove. When i put together the costs of installation etc it comes out to be a hefty amount of money.

What brands do you recommend and NOT recommend below the $2000 range?

thanks for all the help.

Is the house a full 2000 sf? Can you describe the room size and general floor plan? Hows the insulation?

FWIW, the quote on the F2400 doesn't seem all that bad, but I'm wondering if you could put in a 3cu ft stove in that space.

Well the house is actually around 1600sq. I done a full renovation so the attic has good insulation as well as a lot of the walls up stairs. New Anderson windows and doors.
The downstairs is open mostly planned with a small office.

Here is a rough sketch of the house. Green is where the stove is and blue it the stair case. Do you think I could heat most of the upstairs also? I have a ceiling fan in the area where the stove would be as well as up stairs in the main bedroom.

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 242
The stove is sized ok for the house and priced pretty well. You might call around and see if you can find a Napoleon 1900 or a Pacific Energy Summit, but the market is sparse right now with the high demand in the east.

The upstairs will likely be cooler. The location of the stairs is not ideal. But with a floor fan at the top of the stairs, blowing downward, you should be able to establish some convective flow.

i've found a Pacific Energy Super 27 Wood Stove for $1475. I've been looking around and they seem to get a good review. I can pick it up also so no shipping costs.

Any super 27 users out there?

It's a good stove and that is a good price. My next door neighbor has the Spectrum model, same size. It is a great performer for them. In Tom Oyen's tests the Super 27 had the longest burn time on one load of fuel out of 61 stoves tested.

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/pacsup27.htm

Do a search for some current owners:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/23289/
you might also want to look at reviews for the same sized PE Classic, Spectrum and maybe even the Alderlea T5. The firebox is the same.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11957/

Status
Not open for further replies.