help woodstock keystone owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
Looking to replace my 30-nc with a keystone(super sale). I have a 1500 sq ft 1 story home r-60 in the roof, the 30 overpowers it but will the keystone be enough? I have heard its under rated and will burn longer and hotter than what the specs state. Just such a good sale going on, hard to pass up.

Greybeard said:
Looking to replace my 30-nc with a keystone(super sale). I have a 1500 sq ft 1 story home, the 30 overpowers it but will the keystone be enough? I have heard its under rated and will burn longer and hotter than what the specs state.

Depends upon how insulated or leaky your home is.

I think that 1500 sq ft might be pushing this stove. If your house is very well insulated - such that you are not loosing heat faster than you can make it, you might be OK.

This is one of those times when you might give Woodstock a call and see what they recommend. Also, I believe you can still try the Keystone for 6 months and return it - at least that way you will know.

One thing about these Woodstock cat stoves (I have the Keystone), they are very easy to control and damper down when needed - yet kick out some serious heat. I wish they made a 2.5ish cu ft Keystone.

My Keystone is far and away the best stove I have ever used, in addition to being such a nice looking stove too.

Good luck,
Bill

My finished basement Keystone heats my whole 2000 sq ft house until it gets down in the single digits then I fire up the other stove to help out. My wife and daughter like it warm and complain if it dips below 70. Usually this time of year it's close to 80 downstairs and mid 70's upstairs. If you have good insulation and a half way open floor plan like me the Keystone should work fine. I also think Woodstock is pretty conservative with their numbers and if it didn't happen to work out you could always send it back for a complete refund.

Todd said:
My finished basement Keystone heats my whole 2000 sq ft house until it gets down in the single digits then I fire up the other stove to help out. My wife and daughter like it warm and complain if it dips below 70. Usually this time of year it's close to 80 downstairs and mid 70's upstairs. If you have good insulation and a half way open floor plan like me the Keystone should work fine. I also think Woodstock is pretty conservative with their numbers and if it didn't happen to work out you could always send it back for a complete refund.

I suspect Todd's home is quite insulated and draft-free. Where as Leeaves is closer to the draftiness of my home. This goes back to my original post, it depends upon how insulated your home is.

Todd said:

That's very good info. I heat the old part of my house with the Keystone in the coldest of weather, but I have to run it hard due to heavy heat loss through the walls, windows, etc. However, during shoulder season, we get a glimpse of what an insulated house might be like with the Keystone as with the warmer outside temps, there is less of a temperature differential to be working against and the Keystone will absolutely drive us out of the house. I have a lot of confidence in the Keystone's ability to heat and if I had an open 1500 sq ft house or the ability to move heat around, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try - especially knowing that you can return it. The burn times are very impressive for such a small stove.

We like our Englander 30-NCH, but if/when it is time to swap it out (only for cosmetic reasons), I'm looking hard at the new Progressive Hybrid and everyone's experience with it, else I'd be hard pressed to get a different stove other than another Keystone.

Good luck,
Bill

I have a Keystone for our 2000 sq ft raised ranch. It does the job well all the way to the coldest nights. At about 10 deg it starts to lose some ground but catches right back up as the temps warm even the slightest.
We are upgrading to the Progress Hybrid only because of the larger fire box and my wife likes the design better. I was very skeptical at first that the Keystone would burn thru the night, however it easily does and in fact I often do not feed it in the morning if the temp is going to be close to 40 and still have enough embers at 4 in the afternoon for a relight without kindling and newspapers. Also the glass stays really clean. If you get one, make sure you get one with an ashpan.
it's much more convenient. Another nice feature of the Keystone is that it sips wood compared to some of the others. Keep in mind that the firebox allows only up to 18" MAX.

Status
Not open for further replies.