Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsd21

Dec 19, 2014
us
I just built a wood stove out of a 55 gallon drum with the kit. I am having a hard time keeping a fire going inside it, seems like it starving for air, I keep the air damper wide open but it doesnt help, if i crack the door open it get to roaring, any advice on getting this thing to draft right

Welcome to the forum!

The problem can probably be traced to the wood supply or the chimney. I didn't quite understand what is happening when you crack the door. Does the fire burn well then? What are you burning, and please describe your chimney.

Be careful with those stoves! Make sure all the clearance to combustibles are met!

I agree with EatenByLimestone. Tell us the type of wood and how long you had it stacked and describe the chimney pipe/height and connection.

I'd love to see pictures of your setup.

I'll call the fire department- Popcorn , Peanuts, get your redhots. Oh yea and brewskies. now where is that lawn chair?

Reactions: Beer Belly
I hope he made it through the night...

Status
Not open for further replies.