HELP!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodguy92

Oct 25, 2016
CT
I just rebuilt my Vermont castings 0028 and installed a condar catalyst. My doing everything as directed, cannot get the catalyst to fire. Catalyst is brand new so I know it's not the issue. When stove gets up to temp I engage the bypass and the temp goes down and smoke is going out the chimney. Any ideas of what it could be would be greatly appreciated.

Forgive me if this is too obvious but perhaps the cat. needs to be hotter before engaging? Are you measuring stovetop temp? Another stupid question but is your thermometer reading OK? Like at room temp does it read between 50-100 somewhere?

If its not engaging when stove is hot for sure ,then I would remove the cat and try to close bypass and see. If fire is dying then something is wrong with bypass and its mechanical problem , like obstruction. If fire is good then must be a cat or operating error, like low temperature.

If its not engaging when stove is hot for sure ,then I would remove the cat and try to close bypass and see. If fire is dying then something is wrong with bypass and its mechanical problem , like obstruction. If fire is good then must be a cat or operating error, like low temperature.
Good idea. I'll give it a shot

Forgive me if this is too obvious but perhaps the cat. needs to be hotter before engaging? Are you measuring stovetop temp? Another stupid question but is your thermometer reading OK? Like at room temp does it read between 50-100 somewhere?
Thermostat seems to be working good. I'm going to allow the stove to get up to 600-650 and engage the bypass and see what happens then

consider installing a digital cat probe in your 0028. There is a spot in the back for the probe. I bought the Auber AT100 digital thermometer and it lets you program alarms at your own desire. It tells you what the temp is of the cat once you close the bypass

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=279
I like the alarm future on this thermometer , I have thermometer without it. When I go to sleep after reloading the stove I wish I had it so I can set it up . Buy the way is it loud enough to be heard in another room?

The bypass is easily visible through the loading door. I don't see any reason to remove the cat as a test.

Any chance the cat is installed on its side? From what I remember the cat can is square and can be installed wrong. Make sure the cat cells are vertical, not facing you as you look at it. Just a thought.

Do you know where the spot is for the prob on the back of the 0028?
Directly in back center you should see a round plug that is just pride out with flat screw Driver. Condor also has a digital thermometer with a cat probe but pricey but includes correct probe.
With the Auber you need to get probe extra but it is just a better thermometer as far as I can see.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've always heard that the stove should be at 500°F for at least 30 minutes before you engage the cat. Maybe you are not waiting long enough?

I've always heard that the stove should be at 500°F for at least 30 minutes before you engage the cat. Maybe you are not waiting long enough?
500 is a good number. Although there's no reason to wait 30 minutes before engaging the cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.