Help...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mark Z

Nov 14, 2016
Bel Air, Maryland
Whitfield Optima 3 Insert... 10+ years old. Only runs on low... Have cleaned throughly. Replaced Control Board, Thermal Discs, Door Gasket, Bipassed Pressure Switch. Both Fans working... Auger obviously works. Startup on High... 20 minutes of high heat producing flame, then dies out and shuts down... I've thrown the book at this darn thing. What am I missing???

Please put a better description in your title or repost, include your issue and stove. That way you may get a better response from someone who is familiar with your stove.

Probably the electric eye (flame sensor) is very dirty or bad,jumper it and see what happens
It runs perfectly on low... 24/7... Something else is shutting it down. I've jumpered the pressure switch to test for exhaust restriction. No go... Exhaust pipe into chimney it's at least 4 feet long. No soot/ash pile up to block it. On parts left to replace are the exhaust fan or auger motor...

It runs perfectly on low... 24/7... Something else is shutting it down. I've jumpered the pressure switch to test for exhaust restriction. No go... Exhaust pipe into chimney it's at least 4 feet long. No soot/ash pile up to block it. On parts left to replace are the exhaust fan or auger motor...
Bummer,Mark.Yes is possible one of the motors is shutting down in a high heat situation,is also possible the photo eye is shutting down in a high heat situation,is also possible there is an issue with the convection blower,or airflow,not removing the heat from the stove fast enough.

I have an Forester Model # 5824 and it shut down after about an hour, It seem that it over heat cause it drop's Pellet every 4 Seconds. Is there a way to fix the amount of pellet being dropped ?
You need to start your own thread,not hijack this one.

No problem. I moved your post to a new thread. Welcome to Hearth.com.

Reactions: bags
Have you sucked it out with a leaf blower? That will insure all paths are clear inside the stove. Seems like there could be a restriction

Bypassed photoeye with thermal snap switch on exhaust fan housing... Still no change. New exhaust fan and auger motor on order. Then I'll have a new stove, essentially... New fan and Or motor HAS to fix it...

Bypassed photoeye with thermal snap switch on exhaust fan housing... Still no change. New exhaust fan and auger motor on order. Then I'll have a new stove, essentially... New fan and Or motor HAS to fix it...
There is no photoeye on the exhaust fan housing.Not gonna explain it further,just-do your homework.

By passed photoeye from feed tube with a thermal disc mounted to the exhaust housing. Instead of seeing fire to keep running, it feels heat in the exhaust to keep running.

Now new exhaust and auger motor on board. Burning like crazy... But firepot is clinkering up every three hours or so... I hate this thing. Now having tried different brands of pellets - All premium stuff from hardwood to softwood. Something must be restricting air flow thru the fire box because it used to spew burning embers, but not now...

Suggestions???