Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JAGSTINER

Jul 10, 2020
Omaha
I've got an older, fireplace prefabricated insert, with a heat exchanger or to put it simply, a thin walled 6” pipe in the top of the firebox, with an inlet and outlet in the face of the unit. There is a non functioning fan inside the pipe. The fan is not repairable in my opinion. I’m looking for information on the unit (brand name, manufacturer, era etc.) and ideas on replacing the fan. Is it worth it? Is it possible to find parts? where should I begin? I know absolutely nothing about the manufacturer or model. And there are no markings. It looks to be 60’s or 70’s era and is brass, that’s about all I know so far.

As old as this unit is, an attempted repair might violate Newton's Fifth Law Of Motion which states that You Can't Shine S**T.
Any cash or time invested in this project for an excessively old and technologically outdated system like this would be unwise, even if in the very unlikely event one could find the parts.

Newton's Fifth Law Of Motion. I did go to Georgia Tech but never made it to the Physics courses, I flunked out after two quarters freshman year. That happened to about 400 of us freshmen.

So I never have heard of Newton's Fifth Law. "You Can't Shine S**T." That sums it all up doesn't it. No wonder Newton is considered a genius.

Reactions: JimBear