Helping a friend with an EKO install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kopeck

Minister of Fire
Mar 24, 2011
Maine
Well, no matter how hard I tired to sell him on a Tarm he went for a (used) EKO 60 instead. I can't blame him, the price was right but now he needs to get the sucker hooked up.

I do have a few questions though as the EKO is a bit of a different animal them my Tarm.

First off, after quickly skimming the manual it looks like the EKO only need 120v, which is kind of convenient if you want to use a UPS. The thing that has me wondering though is he was thinking about using a loading unit for boiler protection and last time I checked they were all 220v, soo...are most of you using Danfoss valves on your EKOs with a separate pump? I thought I heard a rumor that you don't need to use a ball valve with the new Danfoss units (or maybe another brand) is that true?

The other question I had was I see the EKO's controller has a provision for controlling a backup boiler. This really wouldn't work with storage would it? I'm guessing it more for a non-storage the fire has gone out, turn on the oil boiler type situation?

What I did with my Tarm is put a JC A419 on the storage tank and used that to control the back boiler. Storage gets to cold and hit a set point the oil boiler kicks on. Once the Tarm is running and get the storage up to another set point the oil boiler is disabled. Is that the same method your folks are using?

Just trying to help him get going, it being used adds some more fun to the situation too...

Thanks for the help,

K

Hi kopeck,

The only thing I can offer is that I know 120v loading units are availabe as I have one. Got mine from http://www.smokelessheat.com/

The LK Acaso (Termovar) is capable of flowing 12 gpm max so it could be undersized for the EKO 60. Laddomat (sp?) I believe makes a larger LU but I'm not sure.

Nice of you helping a friend out even if he did buy a green boiler:p.(I have nothing against EKO or green boilers in general-almost bought one myself)

Noah

I have nothing against EKOs, I just know my Tarm pretty well.

I'll have to look at the LK again, I have a 810 on my Solo Innova and I swear they only came in 220v. Like you said though, it's going to be a tad small for a 60, I wish it had a bit better GPM for my little 30...

K

The other question I had was I see the EKO's controller has a provision for controlling a backup boiler. This really wouldn't work with storage would it? I'm guessing it more for a non-storage the fire has gone out, turn on the oil boiler type situation?
You're right on this one. If he's going storage, he'll need to do something similar to what you've done.

I've got a new Danfoss on mine and the install instruction mention nothing about the ball valve. I did install one as it was shown in most plumbing schematics on this site and I figured it couldn't hurt. It doesn't seem to make any difference if I change the valve position.

I also have a 120v LK810 - came from the same place as Floydians did. Has a Grundfoss 15-58 3 speed pump on it.

It handles my 40kw boiler just fine on low speed, it's always been on low. So I'm thinking it should be able to handle a 60kw boiler on one of the higher speeds. But that would depend on head loss - my storage is right beside my boiler so very little head loss for it.

I would also recommend using a flue gas temp stat (mine also came from there), combined with a L6006 aquastat (I think that's the model), for controlling the loading unit. Ordinarily the flue gas temp controls it, but if the boiler gets too hot (say 190-200), then control switches to the boiler temp. Redundancy is a very good thing, and it provides very good end of burn shutdown control.

Is this Eko being tied to storage BTW?

That's just what I wanted to hear. I'll let him know on the loading valve. What's weird is the link on smokeless heat's site that gives the specs for the pump says it's 230v. They wouldn't work on either voltage would they?

I'm also assuming there's a well on the top somewhere so we can stick an aquastat on for over heat protection?

K

Last edited:
I'm also assuming there's a well on the top somewhere so we can stick an aquastat on for over heat protection?
There's one on my 25. Aquastat triggers an overheat circulator and pumps overheated boiler water through a coil in the bottom of my unpressurized storage. Yes, it's connected to a 1500 watt inverter and I also have a propane whole house back-up generator.

There is a 120v version of the LK810, just got word back from smokeless heat.

K

Status
Not open for further replies.