Helping my dad with wood splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fuelfarmer

Burning Hunk
Oct 18, 2010
VA
I live and work on the family farm. My dad is 84 and still cuts and splits wood to heat his house. A few years ago dad built a tractor mounted splitter. Although we have tractors of all sizes it seems you can never find one when you need one. So we built a small gas engine driven pump that stayed hooked to the splitter.

Starting the pump with a pull rope was not the easiest thing for dad to do. And the engine was a little under sized. So being the good son, I picked up a Honda GX390 with electric start and built a platform to mount the equipment on, and made skids so we can move the pump with pallet forks. Now dad can fire up and split wood whenever he feel like it without getting someone to start the pump.

Dad returning from the woods.

Very nice. On our family farm we have a 5th wheel dump trailer used to haul shelled corn. The truck was supposed to be fabbed with hydraulics but it never happened. So they fabbed the same type engine and pump to raise the big trailer bed. We have not hooked it the the 3pt splitter yet but plan to see if it will run that as well. It will be nice to have that option as the tractor that runs the splitter also has to run the feed grinder etc. Someone will complain they have to remove the splitter to use the tractor. lol

Looks great. Where the old meets the new:)

Status
Not open for further replies.