Helping others who need firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I have seen people here mention giving away wood to those who need help (elderly, poor, etc). I am done putting up next year's wood and wouldn't mind helping process and deliver wood to the needy. Is there a way to find local people who might do this? I've become a bit obsessed with the earthy satisfaction of processing wood and wouldn't mind focusing myself on helping others. I don't actually have excess wood, but have the time, energy and tools I'm willing to devote to the effort. Where does one turn?

I kinda got the best of both worlds or killed 2 birds with one stone.

I have been doing some urban logging and taking out trees around the city for 1/4 the cost of a tree service to help save some elderly folks some big bucks.
I took out a lot of bad / dead / hazzard trees and charged 1/4 the price and offered payment over 2 -3 months.
I took 60% of the money and paid 2 people that had helped me an hourly wage and and the rest went for gas , water / drinks / food and other items and put about 10% of the money in the truck / chainsaw fund.
After cutting all the wood last year i ended up with 14 cords of wood and split up & gave 7 cords of wood to familys that were in need of help. I still have 7 of the 14 ( 16 total cords myself ) and when i find of others in need this winter i have the other 7 to take care of cold winter nights for them.

O' BTW , Out of the 14 cords of wood i had 21 pick up loads of brush i had to take to the city recyclers. Urban logging is nothing like cutting in the woods and the risks are a lot higher as to make sure you know what your doing and know how to fell a tree.

We also did whole yard tree trims but that all ends up as brush and no wood to give away. The whole yard tree trimming is for elderly and disabled only. ( I am out to help , not turn it into a business.)

Dylan said:
Roospike said:
I kinda got the best of both worlds or killed 2 birds with one stone.

Hey Spike. Careful about which birds ya be killin.

Been enjoying the osprey (aka fish hawk) that hangs out down by the river below for a couple weeks before he/she heads south.

Was at a friends Chesapeake Bay front house this summer. At low tide, you could walk to an island about 100 yards out. On that island was an Osprey nest, on the ground. In there was one huge white egg, with blueish polka-dots. Never seen one before and it was very cool. We left her alone. Most Osprey nest in man-made structures (for that purpose), and channel markers.

See the Osprey all the time carrying fish in their talons, always head first! The eat mostly menhadden.

I agree that the local church, or church service group (clothes closet, food bank, etc.) would be the place to start. Also, in smaller locales, cops seem to be able to point you in the right direction about stuff like that. We used to process deer and give the meat away, we always let the cops deliver it.

Status
Not open for further replies.