Helping Out Our Fellow Wood Burners On Craigslist

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't repost the Worcester one as it recognized it as being similar to the Boston one I did - someone else will have to.

I tried to add the following to the top of the post:

This post helps you, as the buyer of firewood, make informed choices and not get ripped off. The last posting of this message was flagged for removal. This is a clear indication that some firewood sellers resent their buyers being informed. If you find this post useful, please tag it best of craigslist - hopefully this will help stop the few dishonest sellers.

I'm not sure that the "best of" flag does anything to counter the negative flags. it just nominates it for the best of forum.

I suspect you're right

Heem said:
I'm not sure that the "best of" flag does anything to counter the negative flags. it just nominates it for the best of forum.

I've been told by one of my cyber-geek friends that it does just that--flagging "best of" counteracts the negative flags........

NP

Great idea, good format, unfortunate results ragrding flags. Hard to belive someone can get a good factual post removed based on nothing but an attitude or whim.

I've been getting a "rick" for around $60 delivered. It's hardwood but it's definately not seasoned. My wood is 6-8months at best. Most of it is much "younger" cuts

I've learned alot on these boards. I new I was wasting some money but I didn't realize how much or that I may be adding more than my share to the atmosphere. I wil add that unseasoned wood can actuially harm some stove components. I have an old Federal airtihgt by Dutchwest and I have to buy a new catalytic combuster aalmost every year. The cat-com's cost around $150 a pop! What I think is that the steaming is affecting the ceramic coating to fall or breakdown!

I'm convinced that I need to buy a moisture meter. Most of my stock is red oak and I live by the water so it may take alot longer to cure. My clothes are moist in the closet so I can imagine what it'll take the wood to dry out thoroughly.

I called around, no-one near me seems to have actual seasoned hardwood. At least they're honest about it. All I can think of is I have to gather enough lumber to be able to let several cords dry on the sunny side of my property (which is the wrong side of the house) I won't ever have enough csah for that. Guess I'll have to put my saws to work and take a look at a splitter.

I am not going to split this by hand. You guys that do are a little crazy imo lol!

Thanx for the insight!!

Status
Not open for further replies.