Hemlock, is it worth it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikes67

Sep 1, 2009
SE PA
Hi everyone, I have 2 large hemlocks to take down each 24" round maybe more. The trees must come as they are too close to a building. My question is are they worth processing or should I just push them in the woods to rot. I have enough good quality wood for the year, but i hate to waste.

I hate to waste wood also. I cut down a HUGE hemlock that was about 150 years old as it was starting to die and I didn't want it to fall into some good maples. blocked it up and thought it would be a snap to split----wrong. The limbs grow from the center out and are like dowels holding the rounds together. you have to shear them as you split. I've got a 35ton splitter so that wasn't a big problem but was time consumming and moving those huge rounds was a back breaker. I've been burning them all summer for my hot water so they didn't go to waste but they were work. I wouldn't just cut for fire wood but it I have to cut I'd use it.
leaddog

I framed my house with a bit of hemlock and saved the cutoffs for my wood stove. It burned very nicely - not long or hot as hardwood but I was surprised nevertheless. I didn't have to split it though and Leaddog is right, tough splitting. Around here we've got a lot of small mills that process it for lumber. It's a good less expensive choice for uses where weather resistance is needed.

I also cut up and split a huge dead hemlock. It burns nicely, though not long, and is good for the shoulder seasons. I'd say if you only have a certain amount of storage, it probably takes up three times as much room as a similar weight of hardwood. It dried to be very light.

It would be shoulder season wood at my house, I wouldn't seek it out but if it had to come down I personally wouldn't waste it.

Keep a couple of good sized rounds for chopping blocks.

Any piece that does not have limbs growing out of might be okay for shoulder season. Otherwise I wouldn't bother unless you are desperate. Too wet and challenging to split.

Well I will take it then. I haul this beetle kill spruce and pine over 60 miles one way and pay for it. You still can certainly heat with it. I would really like to try the wood you guys use for that cold weather and really see how much of a difference it is. So far Ive saved about 4 wheel barrow loads of 4"by 4" oak from some boiler pallets this summer. By the sounds of it Ill have to watch my stove from melting as it burns so hot and will need a bucket of water to put the fire out come this spring after loading it once due to the long burn times. :p Talk about spoiled... In a good way. Cheers

Attachments

• spruce hall.jpg
    spruce hall.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 520
I say go for it. Just take your time processing it if it turns out to be a lot of work.

Like others have said . . . around here hemlock is more valued by small Ma and Pa Lumber Mill operations as hemlock makes some great lumber -- very wet and heavy when green, but when it dries up it's much lighter but very strong. All of my storage sheds (Summer Shed and Winter Shed) are made out of hemlock.

However, that's not the question. The question is about firewood. My take . . . if they need to come down and be cut up you might as well cut them up for firewood. Not the best wood, but as far as softwoods it's a little more dense. Can be pretty tough to split and it's pretty wet when first cut and split. When dry it will burn OK . . . very good for shoulder season burns.

Been there, burned it, hauled the ashes.
Not the best, but I've scrounged worse. I wouldn't push it away to rot - cut it up and tell us your experience! :)
Happy burning.

I'd definitely take the wood. It'll burn just fine, and although it may not be as dense as hardwood, there are still a lot of BTUs in those trees.

I removed two similar sized hemlocks that were blocking a road at the camp this summer. Made for entertaining campfire wood but a cord of unsplit blocks a night went up pretty quick and there was nothing left in the pit in the morning.

Burn it. Just let it season this year though and burn it next year.

Thanks for the insight, I had no idea it was good for lumber. Cut the trees down taking them to the mill tomorrow along with some poplar.

mikes67 said:
Thanks for the insight, I had no idea it was good for lumber. Cut the trees down taking them to the mill tomorrow along with some poplar.

Good deal . . . if you get enough perhaps you can use the wood to build a woodshed. As I stated originally, around here hemlocks are preferred more for the lumber than for firewood. Quite honestly, I like rough cut hemlock -- very tough and durable when it dries out.

Status
Not open for further replies.