Hemlock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
I have quite a bit of hemlock cut and will have much more in the next 5 years. I have about 10 large specimens near the house that are in the last throes of their losing battle with the woolly adelgid. It seems very heavy, hard, and dense, but I have read that is is very low on the BTU spectrum, which seems odd to me. What am I missing here?

On the bright side you have a lot of it plus it is very accessible. Still not a bad rating if it gives you heat it's not all bad, you will just use a little more to get the same results of other species.

On the bright side you have a lot of it plus it is very accessible. Still not a bad rating if it gives you heat it's not all bad, you will just use a little more to get the same results of other species.
Well said, Hammer! I wasn't complaining, just a bit confounded, as it seems like high density ought to have more heat in it.

Burn a lot of hemlock at our cottage, burns hot and quick when dry!

I had exactly the same experience with some hem here. It was difficult to cut, slow to dry and didn't make that great of a firewood. As long as there are available alternatives, I'll be skipping the hem. It just didn't seem worth it. There may also be a difference between the hemlock species here and those on the east coast, I don't know. It's not terrible, just that if there are alternatives, I'll prefer them.

I had exactly the same experience with some hem here. It was difficult to cut, slow to dry and didn't make that great of a firewood. As long as there are available alternatives, I'll be skipping the hem. It just didn't seem worth it. There may also be a difference between the hemlock species here and those on the east coast, I don't know. It's not terrible, just that if there are alternatives, I'll prefer them.
I have three alternatives: Three or four cords of oak on the ground, cut into rounds at the far end of the property, up a long steep hill, very difficult and time consuming to get it to the stacks near the house; lots of tulip poplar that was recently taken down that I have committed to cut, split and stack for someone else (two trees that were about 36" in diameter, over 100' tall right next to their house); and, the hemlock that will be literally right outside of the house, definitely will need a tree service to take them down when that day comes. The good stuff comes very hard, and the less valuable stuff is easy!

.... The good stuff comes very hard, and the less valuable stuff is easy!

^ ^ ^^^^^ ^ ^
;) Such as LIFE in general.
------------------------------

The "heavy and dense" you describe is most likely high moisture (plus resinous wood can be heavy too).
It will get lighter as it seasons properly.

^ ^ ^^^^^ ^ ^
;) Such as LIFE in general.
------------------------------

The "heavy and dense" you describe is most likely high moisture (plus resinous wood can be heavy too).
It will get lighter as it seasons properly.

Just what I was thinking regarding life! You are right on about the resinous part, I guess that kind of resin doesn't burn very hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.