Hemlock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
I had a stack of unsplit but fully seasoned hemlock that I thought I'd try for this shoulder season. About 1/4 cord. This wood that feels so dense when fresh, is now very light, but still tough to split (loads of knots). It is at least five years cut in the round, maybe ten, stored right on the ground with very little rot except the outside (sapwood?). I will have lots more where this came from, about a dozen large specimens that were planted around the house many years ago that are in varying stages of wooly adelgid decline. Well, it isn't fantastic firewood, we've had about six evening fires starting on September 30. But it is heating the place and preserving the good stuff for the cold weather. It produces very little ash and very few coals are left in the morning.

One amusing anecdote: I believe all 12 hemlocks were planted at the same time. Two were close to the outhouse (now just used for decoration), right where their roots could access the nutrients that were "deposited." These two specimens are about twice as big as all the others that did not get access to the "fertilizer."

Last edited:
I burn it as well early and mix it in and will be burning a lot more of it next few years , as the disease has claimed several trees on our property.

Hemlock does not split well, burns ok.....I often think ....it is worth the trouble.
But I have soooo much of it. I start the burning season with it until about the end of Nov. then start with it again in Apr. Standard sholder season wood for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.