Hemlock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
So I have ALOT of Hemlock to go with my hardwoods for next winter and probably some of the winter after.

Question is, This hemlock has been a bugger. Big heavy rounds to haul home and split, bark everywhere.

Now I see that my hardwood is starting to crack and dry while the Hemlock still looks the same. Also, is Hemlock worth the work?

I mean I know it is soft but will it do us fine during these NH winters? Should I take it if more is coming?

P.s. the Hemlock is stacked with the hardwoods so all the same variables.

thanks

Hemlock is about 60% of oak in btu ratings. If you have better hardwoods available thats where I would put my effort.

Is it free? Do you have access to other better hardwoods? Depending on how many cords I have socked away determines if I take softer woods. Although I hate to pass up on any free wood.

It makes good campfire wood.

joshlaugh said:
Is it free? Do you have access to other better hardwoods? Depending on how many cords I have socked away determines if I take softer woods. Although I hate to pass up on any free wood.

+1 on that!

skinnykid said:
So I have ALOT of Hemlock to go with my hardwoods for next winter and probably some of the winter after.

Question is, This hemlock has been a bugger. Big heavy rounds to haul home and split, bark everywhere.

Now I see that my hardwood is starting to crack and dry while the Hemlock still looks the same. Also, is Hemlock worth the work?

I mean I know it is soft but will it do us fine during these NH winters? Should I take it if more is coming?

P.s. the Hemlock is stacked with the hardwoods so all the same variables.

thanks

1) Pine and Fir will not crack and check like hardwoods no matter how dry they are.

2) No one can answer the "is it worth it?" question FOR you.

3) Yes it will burn - even during the NH winter

4) With the exception of cottonwood I take every free and convenient stick of firewood I can.

That is pretty much my deal, it was all free and there was alot of it. Like I said, just hope it will keep up with the demand for heat we may need.
If this winter is anything like last, it is gonna be cold!

joshlaugh said:

+2 . . . right now I'm slowly working/helping on clearing a lot for a fire pond. The wood is free (good), but access to the wood is a bit of a challenge due to the terrain so as a result I'm being a bit pickier on what wood I take and what wood I throw on to the brush pile or leave for others to cut. Also, I think I'm set for this year's wood and even some of next year's so I can afford to be a bit choosier . . . but at the same time I try not to discriminate too much . . . if there is a tree in the way I'll take it down and cut it up anyways since free is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.