"hepex" ozygen barrier tubing OK for pressurized system?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
hello all--

I'm a big fan of Uponor/ Wirsbo PEX, having become a convert when I saw it in use, and then used it for all my domestic water supply when I re-plumbed my house. I own the tool already (got it relatively cheap from a retiring plumber), and love the way you can work the stuff into existing construction without having to wave a blowtorch around wood framing (copper), or haul around big pipe cutters & threading tools (iron)

Anyone know whether Uponor/Wirsbo's "hepex" that has some oxygen barrier layer (not aluminum, something else) is effective enough at keeping oxygen out so that it could be used for a pressurized system, if that's what I go with? Again, I really like the versatility of the PEX, but I sure don't want to rust a boiler out

Thanks

Well, I should hope so! Really though, they've been using the stuff for hydronic heat in Europe longer than you've even known about the stuff...... I'm using it for all my lines going to/from heatloads ... (Actually, I'm using ThermaPex which will work on anything that hePex will...... And is alot cheaper...)

Yes, you can use Hepex it works great. You can use any pex pipe that has the Oxygen barrier on it (especally in pressurized systems). That is so oxygen won't diffuse into the pipe while the system is in opperation and then you get air in your heat system (no good!). You should stick with the Hepex if you already have the tool that's the big expence with these different pex companies. I personally have 3 pex tools and I use all of them cause won't mix pex companies unless I have to. My favorite is Stadler Veiga Pex. They carry pex for all applications and are by far the fastest and easiest to use. I've used it for 8 years now and only had 2 leaks. Both times were human error.

Thanks for the insights, everyone. I already have the tool for the Wirsbo type with the second outer PEX rings-- anyone know if the Thermapex will work OK with the wirsbo tool/ rings/ aquapex fittings?

Not sure yet if I'm going to do the whole system in PEX, but given how pleased I am in both the ease of working with it and the way it works once installed, I'm leaning towards using as much as possible.

Is the wirsboro tool you have for the copper crimp rings? or is it the expander tool? If it's the copper rings or stainless side cynch (which is what I use) it will work with any brand of standard pex (not Pex-Al-Pex....)

I have the expander tool that relies on the extra rings of PEX to make the tubing snug back onto the fittings. I know that will only work with pex-a, which is what all the wirsbo is (some of the other brands are pex-b, which is less resilient, and so won't work with this system). The Thermapex looks like it is pex-a just like the wirsbo, so if the outer diameters are the same, seems like it should work with the expander tool. Anyone know if the thermapex shares the same outer diameter as the wirsbo? Thanks

Give the folks at PexSupply.com a call.... They have really knowledgeable techs there..........

Hello does anyone know if the pex available at Lowes or HomeDepot have the oxygen barrier? Will it be stamped right on it?

Thanks

~ Phil

from what I've seen- the answer is no. but most of those products are stamped for their intended use- check to make sure.

Consider a tube with the aluminum barrier. Aluminum is a true O2 barrier, from what i am told. The films or coatings add to pex are not a 100% O2 barrier. They do limit the O2 ingress to some DIN standard. Plus many of the composite tubes have a bit higher operating temperature. Nice for that rare and unlikly event of an overheat. :)

I like the Viega FostaPex product. It has a full size pex inner, then the aluminum wrap, then a protective layer. It also comes in straight 20 foot lengths for nice mechanical room piping.

Standard pex fittings and crimp rings will work on it. Viega prefers you use their brand.

hr

master of sparks said:
Standard pex fittings and crimp rings will work on it. Viega prefers you use their brand.

I was just going to ask if a standard crimper would work with any pexalpex. Are you sure this is ok with Viega pexalpex? Is there any risk of failure?

I have unused 100' supply and return of 1" ID rehaub alumapex with double wraped micro foam in a 4" drain tile I want to get rid of If anybody is interested...Give me a PM

Most all of the pex al pex fittings have o-rings to help make a complete seal. Standard pex does not require the o-ring fittings.

In theory if the tube and fittings have meet the proper listing standard, they will interchange. HOWEVER manufacturers prefer and sometimes insist you use their brand of fittings. This is to assure warranty and that you use fittings they have tested. Although I suspect many pex manufacturers use the same off shore supplier of brass fittings :)

Viega FostaPex is a different animal. It is not really a PAP. It is a standard full dimension pex tube with an extra wrap. As such you need to skin the outer layer to use a standard crimp ring or Viegas stainless crimp collar.

Also there still are some tubes with different OD. Kitec for example has a larger OD and standard crimp rings will not fit. Very easily that is. Same with the ID of Kitec. Typically their rings are a different color to help keep them straight.

hr

Status
Not open for further replies.