Here is a load!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked the ford website, a ranger with the shortbed has a 37.4 cu ft cargo capacity, I load mine above the rails so it should be a face cord all day!!

Looks like some kind of Maple? Maybe Silver? Any leaves around?

I was thinking white oak

I thought maple at first but the wood itself is definitely harder. It looks more like an ash type of wood. Could this be that blue ash that someone had on the site a week or two ago? This stuff has been standing dead a long time with no leaves and is pretty dry and still heavy as heck!

white oak

all maples split nicely if green

http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/cord.htm

According to this website, a compact pickup loaded rihgt up with stacked, split wood to the top of the bedrails is about 1/4 cord. Also according to this same site, a face cord is 1/3 of a cord (many like myself may have been operating under the impression that a face cord is 1/2 cord, which may explain the skepticism). So judging by your photos showing you're stacked well over the bedrails, neatly to minimize air pockets and the fact that its unsplit leads me to say yeah, you've got an easy face cord there my friend.

Was too lazy to try last night. White oak is a maybe? I may get the other half a load tonight, may need 2 small loads? From the way it came down and cracked white oak is a real possiblity. There were some areas where the bark had fallen off and it definitely looks like oak now that you say that. Either way I see btu's :cheese: And best part is it will be this years wood it is that dry!

I propose to do away entirely with the term "face cord". I never use it and never will.

I have burned white oak before. It is in my opinion, the top 3 all time!

What do you call it then? Rick? 1/3 of a cord? A pile? This one is long dead and bark is coming off so its tough to id. I checked online and white oak does make sense. I like red oak and shagbark hickory, kinda like burning concrete! Glad I am not losing my mind...now I KNOW its a face cord. Thanks for all the help guys!!!

White oak is real heavy/dense stuff. Takes awhitle to dry though. I wouldnt call it anything until I calculated 128cuft, then I would call it a CORD!

mayhem said:
a face cord is 1/3 of a cord (many like myself may have been operating under the impression that a face cord is 1/2 cord, which may explain the skepticism).

Saying you've got a "face cord" when you're specifically talking about volume (not stacked somewhere) makes no sense at all.

A "face cord" is a 1/2 cord if you're using 24" splits. 1/3 cord if 16" splits. 1/4 cord if 12" splits.

Adirondackwoodburner said:
I propose to do away entirely with the term "face cord". I never use it and never will.

Thank you for that - i thought it was just me...

I think it looks like oak but not 'white oak' but A white oak, as in that half of the oak family tree.

Not dark enough to be live oak. Could be like burr oak or something.

I'm not a fan of the term "face cord", but have to admit using it on occasion. When I hear people say "ya, I have 19 face cord...", I wonder if they just never learned to reduce fractions :)

-pH- I'm 462 months old

I would still say maple. If it is as heavy as you suggest, then most likely Sugar Maple.

VERY EASY to tell Sugar Maple and White Oak apart......split some.....if it smells sweet, it it sugar maple, if it smells like crap.....White Oak.

Good point countrybois, when I cut it it smelled more like oak, although it is dry. Jay, I calculate face cord by volume w x l x h. 128 cu ft / 3 = aprox 43 cu ft

Jay777 said:
mayhem said:
a face cord is 1/3 of a cord (many like myself may have been operating under the impression that a face cord is 1/2 cord, which may explain the skepticism).

Saying you've got a "face cord" when you're specifically talking about volume (not stacked somewhere) makes no sense at all.

A "face cord" is a 1/2 cord if you're using 24" splits. 1/3 cord if 16" splits. 1/4 cord if 12" splits.

Absolutely correct...which is why a face cord is pretty much a useless measurement. I've seen some places selling wood around here by the face cord, but they don't specify the length of the wood.

I cannot think of a reason to use a face cord measurement, why does it even exist?

For cord wannabe's :lol:

Very good point Jay, my neighbor to this day does not get that 4x8 stack must be 16 inches long to be a face cord. He insists that it does not matter. Of course he drinks cheap petri brandy and blatz beer so its not like its worth arguing with him ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.