Here is a load!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Burntime it looks like poplar to me ...where you are they may call it aspen...if it's super easy to split ...that's what I'm betting it is. btw...I'm real comfortable using the face cord reference...that's how most people buy there wood here. Looking at a stacked row for the side a face cord is 32sq ft.

Of course you'd pay more for a face cord with a 20" width than a 16" width...if you were buying.

Poplar is probably on the softer side of the hardwood scare but it's an excellent shoulder season wood...or the kind of wood that if you're home during the daytime and have the opportunity to tend the stove frequently that wood will keep you warm...it just doesn't last long. So big deal just save that wood for when you're in and about your house...and use the harder wood for when you sleep.

If you burn that your still saving money... and that's why we all burn.

I still think it is oak, I know it is not poplar or aspen, it is way too heavy. Its shape was more like an oak or hickory, not the poplar shape if that makes sense.

Then that's even better if it's not aspen. Truthfully I've never seen Oak here...if I were you I'd get all that wood I could get. Go for it.

So far 8 big loads of red oak, plus the last of what I think is white oak, and there is 1 maybe 2 more. It should amount to at least 4 cord in all. I am going tonight to load again. Funny I started the season bummed commming off of rehab from knee surgery where I finally was confident enough to start loading a truck and little wood. Now I have this years wood split and stacked, and a whole lot of oak for next year already!!! Gotta love it when something goes your way. I am going to cut some blocks out of the red oak when I get some time for the church so that they have them for the playroom. Maybe the kids can paint on them and they should get a kick out of the fact the tree was there before the buildings!!!

Another big load and it is white oak according to one of my buddies? Life is good! Between the red and white oak that makes 10 truckloads!

Front end facing Heaven, and the ass end facing hell is just plain dumb. don`t care what kinda springs or coils ya got. Make the extra trip and only get 1/4 cord at a time. That way you just might break-even. you know coin toss. :coolhmm:

No joke. My supervisor just broke down his 3500lb axle trailer. Broken truck= less time getting wood (been there). Truck and trailer!

burntime said:
So far 8 big loads of red oak, plus the last of what I think is white oak, and there is 1 maybe 2 more. It should amount to at least 4 cord in all. I am going tonight to load again. Funny I started the season bummed commming off of rehab from knee surgery where I finally was confident enough to start loading a truck and little wood. Now I have this years wood split and stacked, and a whole lot of oak for next year already!!! Gotta love it when something goes your way. I am going to cut some blocks out of the red oak when I get some time for the church so that they have them for the playroom. Maybe the kids can paint on them and they should get a kick out of the fact the tree was there before the buildings!!!

If you are getting 1 Face/truck load then 10 truckloads=10 Face cords=3.333 Cords. At least that's how my math adds it up.

P.S.--I too hate measuring in faces.

We should come up with our own terms. How about @$$ cord. That's half a face cord.
A toe cord- that's as much as you can fit in your trunk.
How about a frinkle- that's pi cords- almost enough for most burners to keep them through a winter.

Adios Pantalones said:
We should come up with our own terms. How about @$$ cord. That's half a face cord.
A toe cord- that's as much as you can fit in your trunk.
How about a frinkle- that's pi cords- almost enough for most burners to keep them through a winter.
With the order I have coming to my house tonight, I'll have almost exactly a frinkle!

I have 1.5 frinkles seasoned, 1 frinkle split and another 1.5 frinkles on the hoof (waiting to be cut and split.). But my frinkle is bigger than your frinkle. :lol:

Wow, some of you guys claim its no way possible to get a face cord on the truck, then I show proof that its over a face cord and now they say not safe. Ranger holds 37.4cu ft of volume level, I am 8-12 inches over the rail so I figure 50 cu ft times 10 loads is 524 cu ft divided by 128 = 4.09 cord. Proof is in the pic and 10 loads in the last month and a half and probably over 30 in the last few years. If you drive careful and leave plenty of space cushion I do fine. In 101,000 miles I have done ball joints which is normal on the rangers...same tranny running good, I do wear brakes faster but that is understandable. Now I am on the quest for the next load...and need to split like a mad man to make more room. :coolsmile:

Pretty funny Jags!!! :coolsmile:

burntime said:
Wow, some of you guys claim its no way possible to get a face cord on the truck...

I can get a face cord in the back of my Prius!

Someday I need to get a stove that can handle splits longer than 1", though.

OK, lets see the pictures!!! :lol:

Jags said:
I have 1.5 frinkles seasoned, 1 frinkle split and another 1.5 frinkles on the hoof (waiting to be cut and split.). But my frinkle is bigger than your frinkle. :lol:

Aye- it's the Irish curse

burntime said:
Wow, some of you guys claim its no way possible to get a face cord on the truck, then I show proof that its over a face cord and now they say not safe. Ranger holds 37.4cu ft of volume level, I am 8-12 inches over the rail so I figure 50 cu ft times 10 loads is 524 cu ft divided by 128 = 4.09 cord. Proof is in the pic and 10 loads in the last month and a half and probably over 30 in the last few years. If you drive careful and leave plenty of space cushion I do fine. In 101,000 miles I have done ball joints which is normal on the rangers...same tranny running good, I do wear brakes faster but that is understandable. Now I am on the quest for the next load...and need to split like a mad man to make more room. :coolsmile:

Congrats on being as fortunate as you have been to not have any adverse results from working your truck like that. I don't quite understand all you math but that's fine. I do believe you have about a face cord there +/-. As for safety, if you are being as careful as you claim then I tip my hat too you. It's one thing hauling all that weight, but it's another stopping it. Haul away and stay safe. Good work.

Jay777 said:
burntime said:
Wow, some of you guys claim its no way possible to get a face cord on the truck...

What are you getting there, a bunch of wooden blocks for your kids at a tag sale or somthing?

mayhem said:
Jay777 said:
burntime said:

What are you getting there, a bunch of wooden blocks for your kids at a tag sale or somthing?
Actually it's just a bag of pine shavings for my pet rabbit. But if I lay them out flat, it's at least a "face cord" !

After all, that's the beauty of a measurement that completely ignores depth, right?

LOL- but don't use untreated pine shavings for small animal litter- it can cause organ failure. I use wood pellets for my house rabbits- works better than shavings, and cheap compared to old news etc.

Adios Pantalones said:
LOL- but don't use untreated pine shavings for small animal litter- it can cause organ failure. I use wood pellets for my house rabbits- works better than shavings, and cheap compared to old news etc.
Actually I think it's aspen or something.

Adios Pantalones said:

The Pet store owner told me about wood pellets. I buy them for my daughter's guinea pig. They do work great and make
clean-up easy. I don't recommend burning them afterwards though. :)

burntime said:
:cheese: Luckily it is 6cyl and automatic. Luckily, who am I kidding I paid for it! I do drive it in low 2 or drive with the overdrive out though to keep the tranny cool. I had a thread earlier that said I got a face cord on a ranger and people did not believe the truck would take it. I actually have coil springs over the shocks to add 1500 pound capacity. I take it slow and steady and make sure I have a space cushion because stopping is more difficult. So what do you think, is this a face cord or there about?

I think every hard working automatic vehicle should have a transmission temp gauge at the least. You already have the coil springs but if you do it again, look into air bags. You can get the same ride with extra load handling.

I looked into those. The problem is you have to air them up b4 you go. With the coils its do it when you want with no extra steps. I will say my f-150 when I get it will have the extra tranny cooler. BTW I split half of the last 2 loads I got, the moisture meter is still pegged. No way it will be this falls wood. :shut:

You might want to think about an F250.

Cut out the dressing/power up of the F150, and I bet you'd be ahead of the game, power, hauling, and towing wise.

The F250 is a BEAST.

But, mine sits in the driveway all week long. I use it to haul/tow on the weekends. As an every day vehicle, no way.

Status
Not open for further replies.