Here is my plan...go easy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loc

Nov 26, 2014
Nebraska
Ok guys and gals I have been contemplating a new wood stove in my home for three years now. I am tired of the cold electric heat and $400 power bills. My plan is to run this stove to help supplement my current electric furnace. I have researched and came up with this plan and would appreciate your input.

I will be using a Daka 521FB add on furnace. It is on sale for $799 and has great reviews from what I see. I will place the furnace in my insulated attached garage. I will run my blower outlets into my basement through the wall. At that point I will leave one to vent into the basement and run a short section maybe 4' and vent it up to the main floor. I have a large open staircase that will hopefully allow the heat to also rise from the basement.

In the garage I will run black 6" pipe up to the ceiling. At that point I will run class A double wall throughthe ceiling and attic and out the roof. Do I have to run the chimney clear past the peak of my house or can I go up 5 feet and call it good. The chimney will be close to the eve of the house. Also the chimney will be on the north side of my house and receive a large amount of wind and breeze from that side.

Of you see any major problems please let me know. Thanks. God bless

Just make sure ya abide by the "rules".

:)
10-2b.gif

Before doing anything check with the inspecting authority and make sure that this is a legal install in a garage. It may be, or may not. This varies with jurisdiction. Usually if allowed an 18" pedestal is required to raise the firebox. Not sure about a furnace. If approved, be sure to also connect a return and definitely don't use the garage air as the return's intake.

No codes where I built my house :). I was planning on building I platform to raise it. Why no garage air for the return?

Think about the potential for auto exhaust to be pulled into the house. Plus, the garage air is cooler. Plan a return duct into the house, preferably into another area to improve heat circulation. And fly the plan by your insurance company first.

Status
Not open for further replies.