Heres 2 loads on the ranger, free from Craigslist!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burntime

Hearth Supporter
Aug 18, 2006
C'mon hunting season!
16ft x by about 4.5ft tall and for the most part 16 inch long. Some is 18-20, a few 12-14". There are a few pieces of other stuff, but the majority is black walnut! Never had that before. Any walnut experts, if I split it soon will it be ok in fall or will it take longer to season like oak?

Attachments

• CL stash.jpg
    CL stash.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 489
Walnut seasons much quickier than oak. Full cord with 2 loads on a ranger wow nice.

Actually its about 3/4 of a cord... but still heavy! I did not load it as much. I have been trying to take it easy on her ;~) Your right though, every nook was full, and the saw was riding shotgun!

Good score!!! Congrats!

So if I split it soon will it burn well in fall asuming its in the sun all summer?

burntime said:
So if I split it soon will it burn well in fall asuming its in the sun all summer?

I would say yes with small splits

Great score. Get it split ASAP and stack it so the wind hits the side of the pile. It should be okay come fall.

Walnut is a beautiful wood. It splits apart with a light tap from a maul/axe. It smells a little funky, but I like it.

burntime said:
16ft x by about 4.5ft tall and for the most part 16 inch long. Some is 18-20, a few 12-14". There are a few pieces of other stuff, but the majority is black walnut! Never had that before. Any walnut experts, if I split it soon will it be ok in fall or will it take longer to season like oak?

Be cool with that ranger you can bend there frames very easy, Great haul though!

This was a small load ;~) You should have seen the red oak loads!

Ya, it'll be ready if you split/stack it quick and the summer is decent.I got some a few years back and made the mistake of leaving a half cord in large rounds directly on the ground for a year. The wood was not harmed but the bark sloughed off as I was splitting it on the hydro and boy is that slippery and messy!!Good score! Poor ranger!

That's definitely a nice score. You are going to like that walnut. Take it easy on the Ranger though. I would have made 3 trips, but mine is 16 yrs old.

BeGreen, mines a 98 and won't quit with 117k on it. Did you ever do your timbrens? I still have the monroe load levelers and they do an awesome job... Next truck will be a full size. Just not sure if I will use load levelers or timbrens...

Status
Not open for further replies.