Here's a hardwood puzzler! tree ID please. . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How small of a syrup operation are you talking? I think we made close to 20 gallons this year, but there are guys around us that are cooking down 300 gallons of syrup an hour!!!!

im in the blueprint process of making a new evap unit , 2x6 pan-style arch. ill be able to make about 40-80 gallons or so a year if i want. thats at one gallon per every 4 hours or so . this past year i did not even do half that.just for family and friends.
my problem is i have too many hobbies then ( steelhead fishing, snowmobiling, etc ) im sure you know :)

by me in NE ohio ,particularily my town of Chardon, its the mecca of syrup ( look under 'culture' and 'climate' to see why i burn wood! heh http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chardon_Ohio )

of course , quebec is like 80% of ALL syrup produced , but hey we put in our share ! heh .

With our bush-league setup, we can usually cook down about 8-10 gallons of sap an hour. So, we're looking at one gallon of syrup every 5-6 hours, depending on the sugar content of the sap. Here's a photo of our quality setup:
100_8357.jpg

nice! hey look at my first set up ! 50gal drum cut .
thats 24" in diameter, and - knowing that one cu ft of surface area will burn 1 gallon of sap an hour- i had 2 cu ft !

took me 6hrs to make one quart!!! but its smoky good!

just lookin at these photos gets me pumped for that time of year.... sigh.............

Attachments

• IMG_1703 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1703 (Large).JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_1704 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1704 (Large).JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 295
Its not black locust from the northeast. I vote for White or Mockernut hickory.

I think my father-in-law is building us an actual archway to cook over. The pan we have isn't too bad. We cook down over a fluted pan and then dump it into a flat pan to finish on. If we can get the archway built, then we can design a pre-heater so that the sap running in isn't at 33 degrees and kills our boil. Yeah, I like spring time also, but it just means more work! The good news is that we are ahead on wood for sap season already. The past two years we've had to deal with a less than adequate fire. This year we have a whole trailer load of old deck material that will burn hot. Mix that in with some of the hardwood we've had sitting since this April and we'll have the ideal rolling boil!

Those sure look like shagbark hickory to me - although oddly as you stated not too shaggy. The splits inside look like all my shagbark hickory. The last picture posted shows the red underbark where the shaggy bark was pealed off which is typical of shagbark. And last but not least - all that sawdust from the insects - looks like the shagbark in my woodpile - it appears to me that the sawdust is mainly coming from my hickory and no other species! LOL.

ike,
i used to use a champagne chiller bucket for a preheater... worked great! had a spigot on the bottom to drip sap into the main evap pan. just put a little cheesecloth at the end as a precaution of stuff that might land in the luke warm sap from the air.

teamgreen ,

its settled then . its shaggy .
you see, i get caught up in the notion that all trees should have the same bark of that species. when the truth is they all vary slightly.

HOWEVER , when they vary the most is if your comparing an 18" diameter trunk of a hickory to a 36" diameter trunk . it seems the old boys always look different.
when i took a forestry class, one of the things ive learned was always look at a branch of the tree if the trunk is over 2' in diameter . sometimes,especially with sugar maples since i look at them most, the trunk will look totally different than a 'classic' maple trunk, but then if you look higher at a branch 40' up thats about 12" in diameter youll see the maple frowns you typically see on trunks and the lateral scars.
just an observation. i always judge from the bark of the 12"-18" diameter limbs.

and this hickory was a beast.. so these are probably mutated branches (big 18-24" branches or trunk top!)

Attachments

• IMG_1717 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1717 (Large).JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 272
I'm looking at doing tubing run over the top of the cooker, which would use the steam to pre-heat. My ideal setup would be to run copper tubing around the smoke stack and run the sap through that and into the cooker. The only problem with doing that is getting the bulk tank higher than the smoke stack so we can use gravity to feed the tube.

Well since ya already know it's hickory i'll just post a pic of what i thought was ash until i split it. Definately hickory haha. My stuff is pignut im guessin? It's got that same distinct maroonish heartwood and tears like gum..

Wood027.jpg

the pignuts around me have bark kind of like that, light greyish .
but hey, look how this post has gone... from locust to sweetgum to hickory.
who knows. :)

the first pic below is the pignut in my front yard, and heres a couple from the net that look like what i know of as a pig .

Attachments

• IMG_1109 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1109 (Medium).JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 236
  • pignut%20hickory.jpg
    pignut%20hickory.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 230
  • PignutBark.jpg
    PignutBark.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 214
The one we cut down (pictured) was young. Probly 10-12" dia a the base. But the leaves looked nothing like the ones on the tree in your yard lol. Now im even more confused..

HalfwittingLEE said:
Silver Maple. mmmmmmm hmmmmmmmm!

Instigator!

I don't know man...every hickory I have ever split, I could smell "hickory". I am still leaning towards a breed of locust. Take a lighter and flame an edge. Hickory will rear up and yell "HICKORY".

Edit: Crap - Lee, you were serious weren't you?? After re-looking at the picks it could be.

if wood id isnt hard enough ,some young trees look nearly nothing like they do once mature

I do that a lot with young basswood and white ash. Problem is, one is great and one is crap!

Jags said:
HalfwittingLEE said:

Instigator!

I don't know man...every hickory I have ever split, I could smell "hickory". I am still leaning towards a breed of locust. Take a lighter and flame an edge. Hickory will rear up and yell "HICKORY".

Edit: Crap - Lee, you were serious weren't you?? After re-looking at the picks it could be.

mmmmmmmmm hmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

HalfwittingLEE said:
Jags said:
HalfwittingLEE said:

Instigator!

I am imagining this to be grunted out in your best "swing blade" impression.

Todd said:
If that's Silver Maple I'll eat Lee's hat! :lol:

You have a good memory o-wise one.

rest assured, my wood is NOT silver maple junk ! only rock and black round 'dees parts! MMM HHMMMMMMM :)

Jags said:
HalfwittingLEE said:
Jags said:
HalfwittingLEE said:

Instigator!

I am imagining this to be grunted out in your best "swing blade" impression.

"some people call it a Kaiser blade, I call it a swing blade.. mmmmmmmmmm hmmmmmmmmmmm!"

Status
Not open for further replies.