Here's a What the? moment!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gyingling

Aug 13, 2010
south central PA
I cleaned my stove today with a thorough breakdown getting into every nook and cranny after running a ton through.

I always shut off the surge protector and even unplug the stove before I do anything to it. After the good cleaning, I plug the stove in and switch on the surge protector. I press the power button, nothing happens! The outlet is hot, the shop light is plugged in and on. I'm assuming the worst, thinking the circuit board fried somehow turning it back on. I look around, all connections are good. I plug the stove directly into the outlet, press the power button, it works!

Turns out my surge protector went dead. Thank goodness, it was only that and not the board.

Happy New Year to All!

gyingling said:
......Turns out my surge protector went dead......

Happy New Year to you too.

What brand/model that went bad?

A lot of us are using this unit....simple plug-in, and nothing to really go bad.....just unplug the stove:

Attachments

• TrippLite UltraBlok.jpg
    TrippLite UltraBlok.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 682
It's a True Value hardware surge strip.

Rated for 450 joules, had a $100,000 equipment warranty.

What kind is pictured above?

gyingling said:
It's a True Value hardware surge strip.

Rated for 450 joules, had a $100,000 equipment warranty.

What kind is pictured above?

The surge strips that most people use for computers are mostly junk. 450 joules isn't near enough protection for your expensive stove.

The unit above is a TrippLite UltraBlok428.

Specs:
www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=825&txtModelID=3980

You can get it through Amazon.com for about $25

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-ULTRABLOK428-Protector-Direct-plug/dp/B00006B81D

A dead surge protector is one that did it's job... My father has trouble grasping that concept. He's had like 3 blow in the last 5 years and keeps complaining. I can't convince him of the sacrificial nature of a surge protector.

That Tripp-Lite is a nice unit. I needed more outlets (humidifier, lamp, wireless access point, and Mt. Vernon) so I went with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Socket-SS1650W-06-6-Outlet-Expandable-Protector/dp/B0017RXJSK

I had 3 of them sitting here that I picked up pretty cheap a while ago, like $7 each.

2160 joules oughta be enough...

John97 said:
...2160 joules oughta be enough...

The joules rating isn't the whole story. The clamping voltage is important too, and the one you listed doesn't clamp until 330volts. The tripplite goes off at 140, and has a joule rating of 1410....more than enough. Another important consideration is what legs of the power it actually protects. You need all 3....Tripplite includes full normal mode (H-N) and common mode (N-G / H-G) line surge suppression

If you need more than 2 outlets, this is the way to go:

www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=825&txtModelID=99

:bug:

Back to the drawing board...

I have a UPS unit that I plan on putting there for the stove, just have to throw new batteries in it. Perhaps I should do that sooner than later.

John97,

Your signature says you're burning Wood Pellets Co. product. That is the brand I'm using.

Do you like them? My current ton is a bit ashy, but overall they are a dependable product.

John97 said:
:bug:

Back to the drawing board...

I have a UPS unit that I plan on putting there for the stove, just have to throw new batteries in it. Perhaps I should do that sooner than later.

Hope it has enough wattage capacity to run the stove. Also, double check the specs on that unit too. Many UPC units claim surge suppression capabilities too, but they have the same kinds of spec "issues" as I mentioned above.

gyingling said:
John97,

Your signature says you're burning Wood Pellets Co. product. That is the brand I'm using.

Do you like them? My current ton is a bit ashy, but overall they are a dependable product.

I haven't burned anything else, so I don't have a basis for comparison. But, I do have some observations.

1) There seems to be alot of fines.

2) I've noticed many long pellets. I don't think my Mt. Vernon is prone to bridging or other feed problems from long pellets that other stoves may have. But, I do notice that the steady stream of pellets sometimes stops, the fire goes down (almost out) and then a handful of pellets drops all at once. Perhaps that is due to the long pellets, perhaps not.

3) I haven't had to scrape my burn pot at all. But, the ash seems to accumulate pretty quickly on the tray around the burnpot. So, that would go along with your comment about them being a bit ashy.

My dealer carries these and Great American Pellet. They recommend these over the GAP's, but my sneaking suspicion is only because they charge more for the C&C's.

I bought 3 tons of the C&C but after reading the reviews that indicated the GAP's were better, I went back and inquired about changing them. They said I could. but suggested I stick with the C&C. I picked up an initial stash of 30 bags. I am going to make the next 30 bag's GAP's because I feel the need to make a comparison for myself. Whatever I like better I will end up going with for the balance.

i just purchased a ton of gap's and love the way they burn they have a high heat output and low ash i get a really good flame with them. this is my first year with my stove and only tried 3 different brands the other two were Enviro and cheat river wood pellets the enviro were good but made a popping noise when being fed and the cheat river were from a box store and really high ash and low heat i am going to return them.

Anyone else using one of these?
Nice clean finish.
Leviton 5280 Decora Surge Suppressor Receptacles

Leviton's 5280 Decora Surge Protected Duplex Outlet is designed for
use in residential and commercial environments.  The Leviton 5280
Decora Duplex Surge Suppressor Receptacle features a diagnostic
LED that confirms power and surge protection. Attractive enough to
complement any decor, and durable enough to withstand commercial
applications, the 5280 surge protected receptacle provides protection
for up to 24,000 amps of surge current. The 5280 provides the surge
protection of an outlet strip without the y

Self Grounding