Here's my stack for winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andybaker

Feeling the Heat
Oct 31, 2008
Northwest OH
I should be set for winter. Not sure quite how much is there but I know how much I go through. The darker stuff is for this winter and the new is for next. Wish I had more room, but when your in the city you can only do so much. The small pile in front is from I downed Hickory I came across. Anyone else done getting wood? I know, that's a stupid question, as soon as I start going through it more will come my way and I'll just fill in where I empty it. This time I'll be more picky and try to get some of the harder woods like Oak, Locust, and Mulberry. This winter I'm looking forward to experimenting with top down fires. Has anyone used this method to start fires in an EPA stove/insert?

andybaker :)

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 1,064
That is an impressive looking stack. Top down fires do work well. It doesn't seem like it should but it does. You can experiment with it now if you build a camp fire or a fire in your grill (I no longer use charcoal but use firewood instead).

What do you mean you don't have room? Empty the pool and fill 'er up with wood.

You need to get your priorities straight!

Archie said:
You have a very understanding wife. :)

Yeah. His wife is like mine. She understands "warm".

I start my fires top down. Won't ever go back to any other way. As to being "done". I am working on four years out. When I get that done, I am done.

Nice stack of "Pool Side BTU's" And yep, my woods been ready since Jan, working on next years now.

WoodButcher

If I stacked that you all know exactly where it would end up...impressive stack of wood andy.

Andy, that is very nice. Now you need to start heating he pool water with wood too.

savageactor7 said:
If I stacked that you all know exactly where it would end up...impressive stack of wood andy.

I was thinking the same thing. I can't seem to stack or have anyone stack anything for me that doesn't fall over. Those are nice looking stacks.

BrotherBart said:
I start my fires top down. Won't ever go back to any other way.

+1.

Switched a year ago and won't look back. Find they are better (for me) for these reasons:
1) Creates a draft more quickly.
2) By placing heavy splits at bottom you can light and not need to re-load for the first cycle.
3) As we only burn at nights it is an advantage to have large pieces on bottom that won't catch alight from warm coals, so we can build the fire in the morning or afternoon, then light in evening. If we build a fire the other way, with kindling on bottom, it can catch alight if we build before late afternoon.
4) I find it quicker and easier to build with less technique - you can just throw the splits in, medium sticks on top then a handful of kindling without worrying about airflow and pockets etc because the flame is at the top with plenty of air all the time.
5) Less smoke. The only time my fire smokes is the first few minutes and with top-down fires it is even less smokey than the other method.

Strongly recommend top-down fires!! :)

Apprentice_GM said:
BrotherBart said:

+1.

Switched a year ago and won't look back. Find they are better (for me) for these reasons:
2) By placing heavy splits at bottom you can light and not need to re-load for the first cycle.
3) As we only burn at nights it is an advantage to have large pieces on bottom that won't catch alight from warm coals, so we can build the fire in the morning or afternoon, then light in evening. If we build a fire the other way, with kindling on bottom, it can catch alight if we build before late afternoon.
4) I find it quicker and easier to build with less technique - you can just throw the splits in, medium sticks on top then a handful of kindling without worrying about airflow and pockets etc because the flame is at the top with plenty of air all the time.
5) Less smoke. The only time my fire smokes is the first few minutes and with top-down fires it is even less smokey than the other method.

I wonder if anyone out there with a downdraft boiler is succesful with the top down starting? I tend to think it wouldn't work as well only because in a downdraft boiler you need the coals around the nozzle to get good gassification. Anyone out there try it? Sure sounds a lot easier if it would work!

Very nice stacks!

Another top down convert. It works flawlessly in our outdoor firepit. In the stove, I modify it just a bit: I'll put a few knots of paper between the big splits to help things get going once the flames start to move down.

stee6043 said:
Apprentice_GM said:
BrotherBart said:

+1.

I wonder if anyone out there with a downdraft boiler is succesful with the top down starting? I tend to think it wouldn't work as well only because in a downdraft boiler you need the coals around the nozzle to get good gassification. Anyone out there try it? Sure sounds a lot easier if it would work!

I was thinking the same thing. Be a couple of days before I do another fire, might try it. I'm assuming if it was better, one of the guys on this site would be doing it. The only thought I got is that you need the coals on the bottom to gassify, take a little longer to achieve that, but maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.