Here's my stove -- need opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mj5001

Oct 15, 2011
United States
A Drolet Eldorado and attached is a photo without the stove pipe attached.

As you can see I'm going into a fireplace and although some expressed doubts it would work, it did perform pretty well last season. But to get a good draft, I had to leave the door slightly open. (very slightly)

But this year I'm getting smoke even out of my double wall stove pipe.

I realize I need to go straight up with my stove pipe but was forced to have a horizontal run into the chimney.

I'm going to disassemble the pipe and clean it out but I don't think that's the problem -- besides, would rather work on a permanent fix.

** can't do (2) 45's, don't have the room

** is there such thing as a chimney mounted fan that will help draft? like a fan built IN the chimney cap?

** I'm crazy enough to cut the legs and try to fit INSIDE the fireplace and then have the stove pipe go straight up but only as a last resort

what say you ??

Attachments

• stove2.jpg
    stove2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 350
maybe its the angle the pic was taken, but it looks like the 45's would work??

nope -- wish I could but already tried it -- do they make something less than 45? thought there were adjustable elbows, that may be worth a try.

Do you have any photos of the pipe connected to the stove going into the fireplace? Are you using a ss flex liner inside the chimney? If I had to work with your set up I'd run my vertical pipe off the stove straight up as far as possible before putting on my 90 degree elbow to shoot into the fireplace opening. I would then connect the horizontal pipe to a ss T-connector fastened to the bottom of my SS flex liner. I would also push the stove back as far as possible toward the fireplace to minimize the length of the horizontal run.

One thing to consider if you go the fan route is that you will need electricity to run your stove. If you live some place that is prone to power outages in winter that is something to factor into your decision. Nobody wants an inoperable stove right when they need it the most to heat their home (winter storm - no electricity).

First, the stove did not work for you. If you had to leave the door open to burn it than it was barely performing better than a fireplace.

The optimal solution would be to either get an insert for the fireplace or a stove that can be rear-vented. Another option would be to have a 3' vertical run up and then a horizontal one into the chimney. Depends how easy it is to drill a hole into the wall above the fireplace to access the chimney. How tall is that chimney total?

Mellow -- your user name is a contradiction. You'd be a good mall cop.

Actually it performed better than expected but I just bought the Tjerlund device and I'm betting it solves my problem. Funny how no one has mentioned it before
Will let you know. Just ordered it from Northern Supply.

Actually I appreciated the link. It saves a lot of repeated go rounds. The cost of this stove with a fan work around not so much a bargain. I would cut down the legs and get it entirely in the fireplace or sell it and get an insert.

Have fun when the power goes out and your fan work around dies, I like to see the resources on this site dedicated to people that actually listen to the advice given the first time.

Everyone knows the drawbacks of the draft inducing fans, they need power hence why they are not highly recommended. We would rather see people install the chimney correctly, but you won't listen.

** I'm crazy enough to cut the legs and try to fit INSIDE the fireplace and then have the stove pipe go straight up but only as a last resort

As was purposed to you in the last thread and Begreen just said AGAIN, it will void the warranty but if you don't care about that sort of thing do that rather than buying the fan, you will be able to sleep better at night knowing the stove is at least hooked up correctly.

Not trying to be a harsh "mall cop", just don't want to read about someone dieing of CO poisoning again. Some people are thick headed and need the reminders.

Reactions: jeff_t
Do you even have a liner? That along might sold your draft issues, without a liner it's gonna do very poorly to say the least!
I would save my $153 for the blower, sell the stove for $300 and buy an insert with a liner. This whole set-up looks doomed from the start to me! No matter how much $ you will save by burning wood it isn't worth the risk of fogging out the family or causing a fire.

New SS liner, insulated well -- all is fine but it's that horizontal run that's killing me. I bought the AD1 fan but realized last night that I have double wall pipe which may be a problem for that thing. (and I'll take my chances on losing power, it's never happened in 5 years living here).

Grisu inspired me to think about a new stove when he said get a rear vented one -- so that is the plan. With the rear vent I could easily do two 45 elbows and the fan IF I need it.

Need a slightly larger stove anyway so now the search is on for a stove.

So ....Drolet Eldorado for sale in Indiana -- damn nice stove, 1 year old -- if anyone is interested.

Another thing --

I have this style of chimney cap -- see photo.

Seems to me it's not letting the flue "breathe" as it should and smoke seems to get trapped up there -- maybe because of the inadequate draft, or maybe because these style caps are crap?

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 91
Prime example of rushing an install and not doing enough good research.
Keep throwing money at it, that should work.

Nothing wrong with that cap, it is the draft that is the problem. Unless you have the cap all gunked up already.

Reactions: D8Chumley and Bones
Another thing --

I have this style of chimney cap -- see photo.

Seems to me it's not letting the flue "breathe" as it should and smoke seems to get trapped up there -- maybe because of the inadequate draft, or maybe because these style caps are crap?

That's the exact one I have made in stainless steel.....no problems. Easy to take off for cleaning....;)

You are a stubborn fellow. Two threads, all with helpful advice yet you always seem to want a workaround for a bad setup rather than directly fixing the core issue. It's hard to be helpful when someone always wants to swim against the current.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
Obviously this person has money to burn, pun intended.
Some folks just gotta learn the hard way.
Shame is, could have a bought a nice, correct set up with the money already spent .

The AD-1 will probably fix it (and has never been mentioned as a possible solution).

if not --

I'm getting an Osburn 1100 which can give me a 45 to the chimney or a rear vent stove -- trouble with rear vent is that they all seem to be Jotul or lower efficiency types. ?

I'd get an insert but hate them just from the standpoint of aesthetics.

The AD-1 will probably fix it (and has never been mentioned as a possible solution).

if not --

I'm getting an Osburn 1100 which can give me a 45 to the chimney or a rear vent stove -- trouble with rear vent is that they all seem to be Jotul or lower efficiency types. ?

I'd get an insert but hate them just from the standpoint of aesthetics.

The Osburn 1100 is not very big....don't know how big an area you are trying to heat...

They are just trying to help you out which is why you came here in the first place is it not?

Status
Not open for further replies.