Here's Tarm's 50 to 60 HZ motor conversion kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohbie1

Sep 21, 2007
WESTERN NJ
Well here's the conversion kit. I've included 1 closeup picture of the new motor plate and one of the old plate.
The capacitor is glued into the housing, and will replace an identical housing on the motor. I think this is the start capacitor. It looks just like the one on there, and both plates read CB6uf400VDB, so if I'm reading this right, they are giving me a 6 mf. capacitor to replace the 6 mf. capacitor that is already on there?? If I'm wrong here, please let me know.

The drill bit, I assume is to drill out the rivets holding the old plate.

The new motor plate does now say 60 HZ; gee that makes me confident that I now have a 60 cycle motor. They have also corrected the rpm to 3445.

So I draw the conclusion here that the way you convert a 50 HZ motor to 60 (at least according to Tarm) is to change the motor plate to read 60HZ. Am I missing anything?

Attachments

• conv. kit.jpg
    conv. kit.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 333
  • old plate.jpg
    old plate.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 379
  • new plate.jpg
    new plate.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 344
Geeez I thought the capacitor would at least be a different value. Kinda silly really. They should just say run it like it is instead of
playing games. I would put it the drawer and have an extra cap if the one on it fails. :-S

What did they tell you to do with this 'kit'? No instructions with it? Verbal over phone? Seems like something is missing here/

...still a tempest in a teapot.

We already covered this in great detail. Drill out the rivets, change the plate, change the cap, have a beer. Or not, it will not matter either way.

DaveBP said:
What did they tell you to do with this 'kit'? No instructions with it? Verbal over phone? Seems like something is missing here/

It's more like I should tell them what to do with this kit. Actually, no instructions at all, just what you see in the photo.

Funny how often things make more sense when you read again more carefully.

I just noticed that the new label changes the 50 Hz and RPM numbers to new 60 Hz and new RPM. Well, that's what you have, a motor that runs 2800 or so RPM at 50Hz or 3400 something at 60 Hz. Since you're running it at 60 Hz you now have a label that is accurate.

Lots of 50 Hz motors out there running at 60. They run a little more RPM. Maybe some types of motors are affected more by the difference. The new label gives the accurate numbers for this side of the water.
Like when you take our appliances over there you need an adapter (transformer) to change 250V to 125V but the 50 Hz is still there. They work fine. A motorized clock would be a disappointment but it doesn't seem to hurt the shavers and battery chargers.

Maybe their instructions aren't very well developed because most folks don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.