Here's what I see alot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
Like the rest of you wood hoarders, I started noticing all the wood piles others have as I drove home from work. I live in a rural setting and see plenty of stacks. Funny thing is quite a few of them aren't being used. Seems they either gave burning up or what have you. I also see alot of piping coming out of roofs that are for wood burning and know they must have a stove, but I can tell they are not being used.
Anyone else seeing some of this ?

I see it a little around my area, but most burners here use their wood. I have seen, however, some good local deals on used chainsaws in the past couple of weeks. A guy up the road has a used MS460 Magnum with a brand-spanking new topend in it for $500.00 obo. I don't have the extra jingle laying around right now but I may have to throw an offer at him for it!

Like the rest of you wood hoarders, I started noticing all the wood piles others have as I drove home from work. I live in a rural setting and see plenty of stacks. Funny thing is quite a few of them aren't being used. Seems they either gave burning up or what have you. I also see alot of piping coming out of roofs that are for wood burning and know they must have a stove, but I can tell they are not being used.

Yes, everyone around me has a woodpile. Some people even have a bunch of rounds, but only a handful ever seem to burn. I talked to one of them, and he mentioned he just lights fires when company is over and has so much because he bought a cord not knowing how much that was.

I wish I could buy some of that sweet dry wood right now! I could really use it.

I see the same thing, it is believed to be a valuable commodity and kept as such, I see plenty of homes with a stack of rounds that eventually turns to rot. I believe they save it because of the bags of wood they see at the food store for big bucks so if a tree comes down in their yard they hit the lottery :p

Reactions: Woody Stover
Up this way I see more being used compared to last year. I just noticed yesterday our neighbor had green wood delivered, usually he has wood left over so he's burning more wood.

Around here we see people start cutting wood in October or November. One guy bought a truckload this year. Looks like he cuts some on the weekend and then just dumps it by his garage. Doesn't stack it. Then he splits only as much as needed every day. We're wondering how long before he has problems. We also notice a nice little pipe sticking up out of his house that looks to be in the 4" range bellowing smoke all the time. Sort of makes on wonder what stove he is using.

I know of only one who has a wood stack that is not using it. Funny part is that I gave that wood to a neighbor. They sold the house but had quite burning wood the last couple years. I'm sort of waiting to see if the new people will burn any.

Hit em up. Doesn't cost anything to ask. I have filled my shed several times with abandoned wood. The best is post divorce, when the lady, who always hated the stove anyway, gets to give away the ex husbands hard won firewood.

The town I live in is largely elderly folks who have given up on wood burning. Tons of piles sitting around that I don't see any action on. My neighbors are in their late 80s and have a basement full of oak. Gave me a large stack of oak rounds because their basement is full and said if they move to a retirement home...which they're considering...the basement wood is mine.

In my neck of the woods (south fork of LI ) the yuppies seem to like to have small stacks of rounds to get what they think is the "country look". Makes ya sick to see it go to waste.

It never hurts to ask. Last Friday I picked up 2.5 cords of 3 year old oak. Their neighbor who has just a firepit has even more came over and asked if I wanted some of theirs. The pile they directed me to was pretty old and not that nice, but I am hoping to build a relationship of trust with them. They will see how nice it is to have reclaimed part of their yard an offer me more.

I think a lot of people have open fire places and just burn now and then for the ambiance. I live in the sticks and almost every home has a stack, mostly rounds. You can tell a burner by the amount!! There are some pretty awesome piles of CSS wood in my area and when I see those it makes me smile :)

Reactions: AJS56
It's just the opposite where I live . . . lots of chimneys, lots of woodpiles and lots of folks burning . . . in my immediate area (going out a half mile or so in each direction) out of 11 or so homes seven of them burn wood to keep warm.

I see tons of stacks but not much evidence of 24/7 burning. I think most people around here will burn on the weekends or when it gets really cold. We finally got a good cold snap here and I counted 12 smoking chimneys on my 13 mile commute. I usually notice 2 or 3.

Let's face it, we're the odd ones that are constantly burning wood all the time. But, we already knew that.

Yeah evertime I look in your backyard.

I know of exactly 1 other burner in a 10 mile radius of me. Kinda funny, actually. Of course that is why I can darn near trip over firewood. Nobody wants it around here (farm country). If I had the time to get it, I could have quite literally hundreds of cords at my finger tips.

Some are closet wood horders & just can't get rid of fire wood even if thye will never burn it.
Some have it for the emergency times when power is out.
Some just burn occasionally, few fires a year.

Some think it's " cool" to have a stack of wood in the back yard for looks (that's me )
The wood in my wood shed is for burning LOL :)

Hit em up. Doesn't cost anything to ask. I have filled my shed several times with abandoned wood. The best is post divorce, when the lady, who always hated the stove anyway, gets to give away the ex husbands hard won firewood.
That sounds cruel, but i have purchased (at discount)more than a few houses that way.

Nobody burns wood here anymore. There were a bunch got into it in the late 70's, early 80's, but they all gave up. It was just a fad for them. I know maybe 5 people that burn wood for heat. Lots of fireplaces, but half of them are gas.

Nobody burns wood here anymore. There were a bunch got into it in the late 70's, early 80's, but they all gave up. It was just a fad for them. I know maybe 5 people that burn wood for heat. Lots of fireplaces, but half of them are gas.
And the other half are fake electric.

And the other half are fake electric.
Yeah, SO, on my trip to PA couple of weeks ago, I could not believe I hardly saw a wood burning chimney in use....amazing, people living in that beautiful wooded country and they don't burn wood.;hm

The real thing is so much more beautiful and functional.

Reactions: tfdchief
Lots of burners around me... And Lots of VERY Black caps and smoke pouring from every chimney :(

A couple are friends and they think I am Crazy?!??! My wood burns to quick and will rot before I use it:(

Again, you can lead a horse to water... But you..........

I have to agree, if it isn't being used, ask, make an offer, you may be surprised. My neighbor as been cutting and splitting wood for 5 or 6 years now. The has a fireplace but the chimney is in bad shape, he doesn't want to fix it so he doesn't burn. He was cutting it for an elderly woman up the street but she doesn't burn anymore either, too frail to move wood or go to her basement fir the old cast iron beast.

When we installed our stove, a year ago today as a matter if fact, we had some 6 month ash and a lot of pallets. We knew we didn't have enough wood and trying to buy it in January was not an option, it was junk. I approached my neighbor and offered him $250, he refused and just told us to take what we needed, it saved him gym memberships for years and it was rotting from sitting. We brought it over a wheel barrel at a time and there is STILL wood there, but oak, so we save that for the really cold days, which in 2 winters hasn't happened yet ;)

My parents had a 1/3 cord of wood next to the garage for the emergency wood stove in the cellar.

I've known others that kept some wood for the fireplace in the living room that they never use, too.
Good for an emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.