Here's what I've been working on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
The leaning hickory I've been talking about:
IMG_0426.jpg

After the tree guys were done:

IMG_0427.jpg

The black and orange strips are 16" marks which made for easy cutting:

IMG_0428.jpg

The main trunk was 45' and the upper branches added close to another 30':

IMG_0429.jpg

I've got it completely bucked now and some of it split. It's supposed to rain through Wednesday plus I'll be duck hunting to I'll start splitting the big rounds Thursday.

f v

Some nice looking rounds from that tree fv.

zap

Nice work fireview. Looks like a beautiful place you have there. Did the wind push that over into leaning recently?

Thanks Zap and Gasifier! The tree was very straight (growth wise) and isn't going to give much waste which is great. We moved in last year and it was leaning slightly then (it's been leaning for years based on the tax pics on-line) and then we had a really wet spring which was the kiss of death for it. One of the main roots broke which gave us the lean. All in all it was a healthy tree but there was some ant activity starting as well as a really gross looking wasp larvae thing in one of the rounds.

f v

Duck hunting? Not when you have wood to split and stack. Lol....

Should make for some toasty nights....looks good fv! :)

Looks like they did no damage to the nearby trees.
Look like they limbed it then fell the trunk.
Serious BTUs there.
Over 1/2 a cord?

Nice place and a nice tree. It always amazes me when I see and Oak or Hickory uprooted from wind etc. There are some serious roots on those things. I know I had to dig one up to level and area with my Bobcat and I didn't think I would ever get the stump out.

They did a great job limbing it and dropping it, only took out a few low branches on the pine tree. I just realized that the house you guys are seeing in the background is the neighbors, ours is to the right. I'll try to get it in the next set.

I'll let you know how much once I'm done.

f v

Nice tree fireview. I bet that big wheel wood box makes it great for moving wood. What kind of hickory tree is that ? I am use to working with shagbark. Is that whats called pignut ?
Be sure to post more pictures.

Yes, pignut. While I was sad to see it come down, I was excited to think of tossing it in the stove. My fil gave the cart to me a few weeks ago and it works great for moving loads to the house, deer to the hanging tree, etc. With this tree I used it primarily to get the saw, gas, bar oil, etc out to the tree. I've got a work horse tractor with a trailer that I'm using to move this wood to the back because it is so heavy.

f v

Looks great. Envious! Some great wood there.

Nice. Good you got that tree down. Yes, those carts are very handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.