heritage in fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

splitoak

Nov 6, 2013
Jefferson Co, WV
A question for the great folks here on hearth...seriously if it wasn't for this forum I would prolly be lost rite now..lol..anyho the question. .my heritage is installed in a fireplace the stove is vented out the rear where the flue goes up the masonry chimney they had to remove the old metal flue damper there is no fireproof insulation around the flue to prevent heat from escaping up the chimney..also there is no cleanout...I guess space was an issue for a cleanout behind the stove...are these things that should be adressed or not really a big deal?..is there a lot of heat loss up the chimney?..thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20131112_160203.jpg
    20131112_160203.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 104
Yes, you really need a block off of some sort. You will lose a lot of heat up the chimney.

Is it an internal or external chimney? How well is the top sealed?

If it is an external chimney you definitely should consider an insulated block-off plate at the old damper frame or anywhere above the stove. For external chimnies it is also a good idea to insulate the liner.

If it is an internal chimney and the top is well sealed you are loosing some heat up the chimney. As the mass of the chimney warms up a lot of that heat will radiate to the rooms that abut the chimney. A block-off plate will help but not as radically as with an external chimney.

On my internal chimney I do not have a block-off plate. I did pack mineral wool around the SS liner above the heated portion of the house and completely sealed the top plate. With a new fire the stone absorbs some heat. After a few hours, the rooms around the stone chimney start to benefit from the radiant heat. The walls facing the chimney are a few degrees warmer than ambient.

KaptJaq

They didn't install a T with a clean out? That's going to be a problem when you clean your flue. Looks like you might have to pull the stove out and take the bottom section of pipe apart to remove the stuff after cleaning

Thanks guys....I figured as much....so just stuff around the ss flue liner with roxul...yea I was wondering how I was gonna clean it without taking it apart...

How much heat u suppose I'm losing around the ss liner?

The installers wrapped the flue with some type of insulation...could I use that stuff for a temporary measure untill I can make a backplate?..to stuffin the hole?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.