Heritage Ran away from me!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpjohnny5

Oct 7, 2010
Southern CT
Just threw on 2 oaks and temps startedd climbin quick, I got the primary just barely open and its up to 525 now, ahh what to do? Close it fully and hope it doesnt go much higher?

Say ten hail Hestias, flail yourself with kindling, then sit back, have a nice brew and enjoy the warmth.

lol k, Im still getting used to her and when shes in her sweet spot I got 1 too many splits on this time. Hopefully this one time wont hurt much

3 splits should be the minimum. What have you got there, a 12" deep bed of coals there to set off a couple of splits like that.

You will survive.

Yes, close it fully and take a deep breath. It will be ok.

525 is no problem on a Heritage. The manual says sustained operation at 600 or higher can cause damage. I've had mine at 525 a few times.

Like others said nothing to worry about since it can reach more than that at stovetop temps. I usually can't get mine anywhere that hot right now with the species of wood I am burning. 4-425 max. If I was you, I would be happy to have the stove cooking that hot.

I agree that 525 is no problem. I'd run it hotter still and so will you this winter when you need some real heat.

Your situation reminds me of the first time our stove got to 650. I started getting nervous. Woodstock says their stoves are good to 700 and we watched the temperature climb. Finally, it leveled off at 680 and we breathed a sigh of relief. Now it is old hat and we'll cook that thing over 600 on a regular basis when the heat is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.