Hey! contributors, chew on this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred61

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Southeastern Vt.
Some of those septic pumping trucks you see on the road (turd suckers) are both pressure and vacuum tanks. I suspect if they hold up under a vacuum they should hold up under pressure. Whether they are adequate for pressurized storage should be investigated. They are constructed of carbon steel, stainless or aluminum and have a manhole to facilitate the installation of coils.
I did a short search of the industry and did see some advertised as pressure/vacuum. Pressure limit and prices were not listed.
If there's any interest in this angle, perhaps you can do some searches.

Definitely wouldn't want to "chew on it" :sick: and if you thought cleaning a used propane tank was bad... :shut:

However it might be an option, depending on what kind of pressure rating it had, and the costs involved... One possible advantage might be that they looked like a shorter / fatter configuration than an LP tank, which might help some people with the logistics of getting them into their chosen location.

Might even be worth seeing who makes / sells those vehicles and finding out price for a new (clean) tank...

IMHO the big questions would be what sort of pressure rating the tank had (I'd think you'd want at least 60 PSI, preferably over 100) and how thick / what sort of alloy the metal it was made from - is it suitable for long term expsure to near boiling temperatures?

Gooserider

I used to make the tanks for a company that assembled the trucks. The tanks were made of 3/8" thick A-36 (mild steel). I think used propane tanks would be much cheaper.

Dune said:
I used to make the tanks for a company that assembled the trucks. The tanks were made of 3/8" thick A-36 (mild steel). I think used propane tanks would be much cheaper.

Could be, though there is always the question of dimensions, and if possibly the tanks would be a different shape that might work better for someone...

Used, though unappealing as a concept, might not be much worse than a propane tank for cost...

Having built them, any idea what the pressure rating on them might be?

Gooserider

I don't need a tank but what got me thinking was that I spotted the guy that pumps my tank driving a brand new beautiful unit. My first thought was --there must be money in this business. Upon looking it over While he was stopped in traffic I noticed the man hole had very close spacing on the bolt circle giving it the appearance of ruggedness.
If I get some time, I may just call one of those outfits that were listing tanks in the classified website and ask them about the pressure rating and price range. My thoughts were the same as Gooserider's in that the tank shape could utilize space more efficiently than a propane tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.